Heart Rhythm Community
MI and T Waves

Join others experiencing Heart Rhythm issues. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

MI and T Waves

Ok, I am trying to find a particular answer that has stumped me to no end. I need to know if a patient that has had an MI will or will they not have elevated T Waves? I have been searching all over the internet with no luck. Everything refers back to the Q wave which is not the answer I am in need of. Can you please help?  Thanks so much!
Maybe it would help to spell out what "MI" is.  It will not help me help, as I know nothing about the mechanics of the T Wave (on a EKG I assume).  Still, more information from you may help get useful input.
Avatar n tn
Thanks thats a good idea. An MI is mycardial infarction and yes the t wave is on the ECG.

Do you mean elevated T waves as in "peaked", if so this can an indication of hyperkalemia.  

If a person is actively having an MI they will have elevated ST segments in the leads associated with the area of there heart that is being damaged.

The Q wave that you read about is a sign that can be seen on the EKG that indicates someone has had an MI in the past, greater than 24 hours ago.

Hope this is of some help...
I think your question doesn't actually have a specific answer - during and after myocardial infarction you will often see T wave abnormalities but as time passes and the injured site heals the T wave may return to normal or maintain some degree of "abnormality".  As to specifics of the T wave (positive, negative etc) it apparently varies according to the location and severity of the given infarct.  I agree with FFMEDIC that ST segment elevation and depression is more consistent in regards to MI.

http://content.onlinejacc.org/cgi/content/abstract/28/6/1514

The above article details two groups of patients with infarcts whose ekg held opposite T-Wave ekg patterns post MI depending on the location/severity of the MI.  Hope that helps somewhat.