Heart Rhythm Community
MTHFR gene and heart issues

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

MTHFR gene and heart issues

I am wondering if anyone on here has been told that they have the MTHFR gene? (It looks like some dirty words, but actually stands a long scientific term.)
I am asking because my racing heart, delayed skipped beat episodes are accompanied by TIA-like symptoms. I have had these episodes for almost 8 years with no explanation. I am currently wearing an event monitor to help determine if my issue is with my heart, since until last month, all docs have looked in the nervous system.
Since I am homozygous (1 copy) for the C677T MTHFR gene- which causes a higher risk for blood clots- especially in the presence of hormones, I have began researching the relationship between this condition and heart arrythemias that may lead to TIAs. The neuro/ stroke specialist at Duke suggested that the TIA- like symptoms my be due to the pooling and eventual clotting of blood in my heart that an break off tiny clots, leading to the TIA episodes, which- for me- include fatique, thick, slurred speech, blackouts of vision and hearing, and tingling on my right side.
Because of the MTHFR gene, I took Lovenox injections during my pregnancy. Apparently the risk of clots to the placenta is high, but the shots let me have a full- term pergnancy and a healthy baby.
Since this has been going on for 8 years I have been doing reasearch to educate myself, in hopes that my knowledge will help me to better communicate everything that the doctors need to hear to finally make a correct diagnosis.
I am newly 32 years old and have been dealing with this for almost 8 years. I really wish that I could get a correct diagnosis and treatment so that I can get on with my active life.
If anyone has any information to share with me on this, I will GREATLY appreciate it.
THANK YOU ALL!

I've only seen one other person mention their problem with MTHFR and I don't remember who they were. Wish I could help. Perhaps someone will be able help you. Have you tried over on the Heart Disease forum?
Are you taking any anticoagulants?  Sorry if I overlooked in your post.  Seems like an obvious need if there's any chance you are forming clots, so obvious, why do I mention? Well, it is all I have to offer at this time.

You didn't mention any specific heart rhythm issues or measures.  

This post will push your post back to the top, more time on page 1 may bring some helpful inputs.

I do take 81 mg Aspirin only.  I have no diagnosed heart issue, but hoping that after my 30 days on the event monitor are up- there are some answers.
I am wondering if there is some correlation between the MTHFR gene and complications from an irregular heart rhythm- causing TIAs.  I have been doing some reading in medical journals and have found that there is reach suggesting that there my be a genetic linkage between the MTHFR gene and certain types of heart conditions.  I was wondering if anyone on here had this gene and experienced the link between these two conditions- including repeated TIAs- like I have.
Like I said- no diagnosis yet, but after 8 years, I am educating myself to be my own advocate to make sure that I am not a mere number in the doctor's office.
I am hoping that this event monitor shows something that will bring an end to all of these episodes.
Thanks in advance to any help that can be offered.