Heart Rhythm Community
Metoprolol Tartrate & alcohol

A community of people experiencing Heart Rhythm concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

Metoprolol Tartrate & alcohol

I've been taking metoprolol Tartrate (Lopressor) for a couple of months now for what the doctors are calling benign PVC's.  I was having the constantly for almost 2 months before we started the medication and it seems to be helping, I haven't had any PVC's for awhile now.

My question is, can you drink alcohol while taking it?  I'm by no means a heavy drinker, but it's nice to have a drink with friends once in awhile.

I think you should ask your doctor to be on the safe side. I take metoprolol and my doctor said it`s ok to have one or two drinks but not to over do it. Be careful when I mix the two I get very tired.
I would listen to my body...for some people alcohol can set off PVC's but you may be one of the people who it doesn't effect.......drugs and alcohol as a rule don't mix but i agree i would talk to the doc that gave you the meds to get their thoughts on this.....in moderation most people are pretty safe tho.....i just wouldn't over do it......
Thanks for the comments.  

I never had problems with PVC's in the past and used to drink quite a bit of caffeine.  Just so happens that the day the PVC's started (out of the blue) I had had quite a bit of caffeine and 4 or so drinks.  Since then, 11/1/09, I haven't had a drop of alcohol or caffeine and the PVC's kept coming back until I started on the metoprolol.

I have a check up with the doctor next week and I'm going to see what his thoughts are.  On my last visit he told me to stay away from it, but I think that was more just to see how I react to the meds and rule out any possible causes.