Metoprolol Weaning
Hi all I am a 23 year old female with a history of palpitations and rapid heart rate. I also have a mild mitral valve prolapse.  I was placed on metoprolol 25mg twice a day for this issue.  I only take 25mg in the morning however, my cardiologist is aware and is fine with it.  I have been contemplating pregnancy for a while now and wanted to try to wean myself off of the metoprolol so my cardiologist just said that the dose was so small I could just stop taking it.  I also have very bad panic disorder.  I didn't take it fot the past 3 days and I felt really tired and my heart would race when I would get up just to walk across the room.  I woke up today and because I had to come to work I went ahead and took it this morning. Still feeling a little panicky which had subsided up until I stopped taking it 3 days ago, I also take Effexor XR. Just wondering if anyone else had any experience with this med. or could reccommed if they took anything else as far as an antiarrythmic during pregnancy?  Help Please
When I came off of the metoprolol for pregnancy I cut the pill in 1/2 took it like that for about a week or so, then cut it into 1/4 and took it like that for about a week or so.  Then I stopped.  

I was/am very sensitive to drugs like metoprolol and stopping cold turkey, while it may seem fine in a doctor's text book, doesn't work for me in real life.

Good luck!!  (on a baby too :-)
i just had a baby 6 mo ago and remained on the metroprol the whole pg and had no issues my ob said it was safe it is a category b drug. I tryed and stopped at first b4 i knew it was safe and had bad anxiety ... good luck
Thanks you guys I was hoping that someone else had the same experience and could help me. You guys are great I appreciate it very much. I agree what looks good in text books is not always what works in real life.
i take the metoprolol tartrate 25mg one pill a day but i take 1/2 when i wake up and 1/2 at bed time... like every twelve hours basically and it has helped me with my sinus tachy.