Heart Rhythm Community
Multaq any one?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Multaq any one?

I have had a long history of AFib.  I have been on a whole boart load of meds including Tikosyn.  None of them kept AFib at bay.  I had an AVJ Ablation in March and still have bouts of AFib but at a much lower rate... ususalyy between 90-110.  I am being considered for Multaq to help rid me of AFib.  Because the drug is so new, I do not know anyone who has been taking it.  Are any of you?  How are you doing on it?

ksig
  • Multaq (11 replies):
    Has anyone been on this new drug yet? Any major side eff...[more]
  • Multaq (3 replies):
    My A-Fib was finally put under control by amiodarone. A...[more]
  • Multaq (3 replies):
    I've read not long ago about there being some lawsuits o...[more]
  • Multaq (1 replies):
    My question is around Multaq and its benefits and risks....[more]
  • multaq question (5 replies):
    I was released from the hospital yesterday after a bout ...[more]
Hi I just completed my 8th day of being on Multaq. The literature says that it takes between 4-8 days to reach full theraputic  levels. For the first 7 days I was having to supplement it with 360 MG of cardizem to keep my HR below 140 BPM. Day 8 began this morning I woke up to a HR or 62 and went out and played 18 holes of golf walking and my HR never went above 100 and I did not incur any symptoms of AFIB. Having failed on both Tikosyn and Sotolol I was really anxious waiting for the approval of this drug. All the benefits of Amiodorone without the toxic side effects. I am hoping today turned the tide but have to give it a good 30 day trial before I will be ready to either recommend or condemn it, but if today was an indication I would say to you go for it. If it is going to be awhile for you check back with me and I will provide you with updates.

gary
Hi I haven't forgotten to keep you updated. Today was day 30 and since the multaq did not convert me on its own I underwent another cardioversion this morning. Now we will see if the drug is any better at holding me in rhythm than sotolol or tikosyn which neither did over the long haul. So I will give you updates this week as to the short term results.

gary
What is this Multaq "thing", yes I read a new AFib (or general anti-arrhythmia) medication.  Is that the brand name?  Who makes it... I will try to do a "google" but like to talk with a fellow sufferer.

I read you to say the Multaq put you in NSR, but it didn't hold, thus you got an (electro?) cardioversion and are now in NSR and taking Multaq to keep you that way.

What has been you experience in the past?  I have had several electrocardioversions, a couple of them held me in NSR for about 18 months each.  I was on Propafenon (Rhythmol) to help keep me there.  I was, however, working against leaky mitral valve which was expanding (enlarging) my left Atrial ... when it went past 5 cm diameter, no more cardioversions.  Do you have a physically healthy heart, just "electrical/timing" problems?

My left atrial is shrinking since my valve repair about two years ago, and I am looking forward to another try at electrocardioversion in the future.  

I was still running (jogging) at age 67 when my AFib returned prior to surgery.  Now I just walk, and not too steep a hill, thank you.
Well it has been almost a week now and the Multaq (dronedarone) seems to be working great, but then again just a week so far. I Have been maintaing a resting heart rate of 69 not to bad for an slightly overweight 57 year old male. I have experienced increased energy levels and look forward to being able to restart and exercise program of light jogging and cycling. This was my 4th cardioversion this calendar year and hopefully my last if the medication holds up. I hope the NSR and increased exercise will assist in the betterment of my reduced output of my left ventricle brought on by CHF ( congestive heart failure)
For jerry in NJ Multaq or dronedarone is a new FDA approved drug released to the market around June  of this year. It is produced by sanofi aventis and is supposed to be as effective as Amiodarone only without the very toxic side effects. Jerry this is my 3rd arrhythmic medication I first tried various dosages of Sotolol which lasted about a year to 18 months and after failing that I tried Tikosyn or Dofedilide which only lasted about 60 days. So this is the last stop and if this doesn't do the trick I will probably undergo a third cardiac ablation. But I am hoping this works long term. If you desire any additional info let me know

Gary
Gary, we're rooting for you and the Multaq. I'm on Sotalol right now and it's been holding me pretty well but it's been hard to get the dosage right to minimize the side effects. I'm hoping this new drug is going to turn out to be much better and that I may switch over at some point.

Good luck and keep updating us.
I've been on Multaq for seven weeks now, and it seems to be working well with no side effects.

I go in and out of afib and have never had a rapid heart, just shortness of breath that keeps me from running while I'm in afib. I am 71 but my heart is in great shape except for the afib.

I was in afib for about six weeks straight this spring (the first time I noticed it) and then went in and out on about a weekly basis in July and August. Stayed in about a week at a time, then back out for about a week. Since September 1, when I started Multaq, I've had three short episodes of afib: September 9 (12 hours), September 13 (24 hours) and October 6 (32 hours). My doctor wants me to stay on it and stay on warfarin. I too would love to hear from someone who has taken it long term, because I worry about taking any new drug for an extended period.
Noticed we were just about the same age.  I went on Multaq after a conversion in December 2009.  So it's almost been a year.  Only two episodes during the year that lasted no more than a few seconds.  No side effects that I know of.  My heart is excellent other than the Afib.  I am very interested how you are doing now. Looks like everyone else had been on for a few days and then you never hear from them.  Hope that's not a bad sign.  Just kidding.  Please let me know how you're doing and I'll do the same if you reply.  My email address is ***@****.
Going to try again with that address.  Think out of the box afib at ron sylvia dot see oh m
One more thing about Multaq.  There are very conflicting reports about it.  Even though your heart is in excellent condition now, you really should monitor it carefully.  I've had good results but that doesn't mean it will continue or I won't start having heart problems.  So I suggest that you do as I have done.  Go to Google and select their email alert for Multaq.  Then every time a news article appears they will email you and give you a link to read it.  If we don't have any problems within the next five years we "could" be safe.  So suggest watching for any signs your heart may be having another problem.  This product is new and really no one can really tell what it is really doing.  Let's face it, Afib is not a cold and Multaq is not a cough drop.  Please remember to email me:  afib at ronsylvia dot see oh m
I've gone 33 days now without an afib episode, and I'm beginning to think in terms of staying in normal rhythm. I've been getting back to vigorous exercise and now able to do eight minutes of running followed by two minutes of walking repeated four times. That's not very good but more than I've been able to do for quite awhile.

My doctor said if the Multaq works, I could get off of the warfarin, which would please me. And if it continues to work, maybe I could get off the Multaq. I don't know how long that will be, but I don't like staying on a new drug for an extended period.

I'm on the Multaq mailing list and I'm almost obsessive about monitoring my heart. So far, everything looks good.
Ron, could you provide a bit more detail on how to get the email alerts for Multaq. I found a "PressOffice" for dronedarone but you have to be a journalist to sign up for alerts from them. Is this what you were referring to or something else?

I have been on Multaq for about 6 weeks and am having mixed results. I'm in and out of afib. That said, Sotalol completely stopped working which was why I switched. I'm giving it time to work because I really don't know what else to do. I'm waiting for a consultation with an EP to discuss an ablation.
I am 60 and started having Afib attacks about 3 yrs ago.  i too have been on Sotalol, rhythmal and now Multaq.  I have been taking it since february, 2010.  i have had 2 attacks since then, but was able to convert back to NSR by deep breaths in and blowing out forcefully-a tip from another cardiologist. I am refusing to keep giving the local emergency room my money.  I am not sure if any electrophysiologists has a clue about AFib.
As far as ablation...I am reading more and more not to do it.  I found a link-afibbers.org.  More of a homopathic treatments-I have a lot of reading to do before I get off the multaq and cumadin (coumadin)-but I really dont think that its doing me alot of good.  i have no serious side effects, but just worried as I age how bad will this afib get.  No one seems to know.
How bad will your afib get? I think that varies from person to person, Snico. I have a friend who has had afib since his mid-30s. He's now 66 and doing pretty well although he's still on medication and doesn't drink red wine or caffeinated drinks. I don't think his afib has gotten worse, but he still has it.

I think the main trick is to stay in normal sinus rhythm as much as possible because that prevents changes in the heart that will make afib even worse. It sounds like you're doing pretty well so far.
I have now gone 54 days without an AFib episode, thanks to Multaq. As a result, I no longer have to take warfarin--a major victory for me. I have some fluttering at times but am beginning to feel that I have my AFib licked.
I'm not up to 75 days without an AFib episode, thanks to Multaq. For awhile I had occasional fluttering but now I feel perfectly normal and it's hard for me to imagine that I will ever have another AFib episode. Maybe I should knock on wood, but so far the drug seems to be working.

I ran 3.75 miles on the treadmill yesterday--slower than a 10-minute mile pace but keeping heart rate between 130 and 140. Only at the end does the HR creep up to around 140, and I'm improving each time I run.

My resting heart rate is in the low 50s. My doctor's view was that this is a bit low but not low enough to worry about. Some of it, he said, is probably due to becoming more fit. Before I started Multaq on September 1, my heart rate was in the high 60s, low 70s. A couple of years ago (before I had AFib), it was high 50s, low 60s, and my training HR was in the 150s for 40 to 60 minutes.
Oops, I meant to write "I am now up to 75 days" rather than "not up to 75 days."
An update: I've been taking Multaq since September 1 and had three brief episodes the first month. For the past 100 days, the medication seems to be doing its job: I've had no AFib episode and I've been able to exercise with no problems. I'm at a level just below what I was able to do before I first noticed AFib--3.5 to 4 miles of running a couple of days a week plus brisk walking or run/walking for another three days a week. I can keep my heart rate in the 130s for 40 minutes or so.
I have been on multac since nov 2010. I had a stroke on aug 31 2010. Just turned 50. Stroke was caused by AFIB. I never knew I had it.. I am not overweight and do not smoke.

I am on varfarin and pravastatim.  I am back in rhythm and have gone out twice since on multac. I went on it after a cardioversion

I have stomach issues and joint pain from the medications

I worry about long term effects as well

I also get occasional chest pains, very brief. I think it is related to the pravastatin. My heart is strong.

Any one else experience any of this.
I guess I am lucky; I've had no side effects at all from the Multaq. I did have joint and muscle pain when I took Crestor, however, and I believe it was Crestor that brought on my AFib. I will be 72 next week but have been healthy and exercising regularly for the past 30 years. Although my cholesterol was normal, I took Crestor because of a high CRP level. The Crestor brought my cholesterol down dramatically but barely affected the CRP. And my joints and muscles hurt so much I became unable to exercise. Then the AFib started, and I couldn't run more than a block without getting winded.

I signed up for electrocardioversion last July but was in normal rhythm when I went in for the procedure. The following month, I was in and out of normal rhythm for about a week at a time. On September 1 of last year, I started Multaq, 2 pills a day. I had three brief episodes of AFib during the first month, then haven't had another since. I can run 4 plus miles several days a week, and I really feel like I'm cured. I see my cardiologist tomorrow, but I think he will probably keep me on Multaq until sometime this summer. That's okay with me because I've had no side effects. But I don't want to take any drug long term if I can help it.

I think the Multaq has helped me; then again, I might have gotten better anyway after an extended period away from Crestor.
I had abelation, tried all of the meds, including amiadrone (sp), which made everything worse and they put me back on it in the hospital with me begging them not to.  They kept saying everything would settle down in a few months.  Didn't.  Multaq gave me horrible a-fib episodes and after I got off of it and began reading about it, it didn't seem that much better than amiadrone, it's sister drug, but I understand we have to take chances that are better than continual a-fib.  Now I'm just struggling, considering the five box or hybrid treatment where they punch five holes in your chest and use lasers.  Exhausted and disgusted.  Glad you are all doing so well.  All of my cholesterol drugs have made my a-fib worse, currently on last chance Pravastatin (because it processes differently than lipitor, etc.) that isn't strong enough for me and is now beginning to give me a-fib problems. Anyone else have a-fib/cholesterol drug connection problems?  Wanted to tell you, beware of Nutrasweet/aspertame - puts me in a-fib within minutes.  
I have a surgery that has yet to be scheduled, because an EKG confirmed my heart was in A Fib, started on Warfarin I've been on it for 7 weeks 5 within the therapeutic range.... I went in for a cardioversion yesterday 1st attempt out of A Fib for about 1 minute than right back in, 3 more attempts and nothing after about 15-20 minutes they tried 1 more time, out of A Fib for about 30 seconds..... Now I am on the Multag;to hopefully get out of A Fib Warfarin; to thin the blood to avoid a stroke, and Cartia; to slow down my elevated heart rate.... I need to schedule a follow up appointment with my cardiologist when he returns from his vacation...... So my Surgery is now in limbo, I was curious if anyone who has had the cardioversion was awake and aware of it while it was going on, cause they told be I wouldn't feel it nor remember it.... However I was sleepy and relaxed, but I was aware of everything and I most definitely felt it each jolt felt like it was stronger than the one before it, except the 5th one wasn't as strong as the 4th jolt
enjoy reading here,  A-fib since 56 now 62, healthly heart. Amio gave me hyperthyroid condition, pill daily now to control that,  thank you. Multaq with Pradaxa few months and liver is hurting so now starting  Sotalol, lets'  see what organ that attacks!

yeah bunch of cardio's  , artrial ablation lasted 1 1/2 yr without A-flutter( I got )  episode.  keep comments coming, thks
I had 6-month persistent A-fib last year. Then I started Multaq. After one week, electric cardioversion was done, and I returned to sinus rhythm. Since then I have been in sinus rhythm. I continued Multaq 2x400 mg for two months and then deacresed the daily dose to 200 mg. Beside Multq I have atenolol (Tenoblock) 50 +25 microg.
I can't take the cholesterol drugs at all.  The drugs give me indigestion which irrirates the vagus nerve and can put me into afib.  I can get my cholesterol down with diet and exercise if I stick with it.  
I'm 64 and was diagnosed with Paroxysmal A-fib in summer 2009. I took Sotalol for over a year until December 2010 when it stopped working. During that year I suffered from bad side effects from the drug and I wish I had tried something else during that period because I was pretty miserable even though my heart was in NSR for most of the time. Sotalol is both a beta blocker and an anti-arrhythmic drug and it is not metabolized; it is just filtered out by the kidneys which makes it different from the others. At that point I switched to Multaq and Metoprolol for a couple of months. Unfortunately, the Multaq didn't work at all and it is very expensive so I switched to Rhythmol and Metoprolol. The Rhythmol and Met didn't work either but they had few side effects and my heart rate was well controlled. Also, the afib itself was less symptomatic with the Rhythmol so I lived with permanent afib until Aug 31 this year. On that day I had a PVI ablation done to correct the afib. Just over 4 weeks now and, the jury's still out, but I have been in NSR for all but about 3 days during the first couple of weeks. Since then I've had a couple of short runs of a-fib during the night that woke me up but they have converted back on their own in an hour or so. So, the ablation has definitely made a difference but I don't know yet if I'll be able to come off the drugs or not. I was pretty tired for the first month but I'm starting to improve. They say it takes about 3 months to really know the outcome. I'm hoping I won't have to go in for a second time but I definitely will if it's needed. The procedure itself isn't bad. I was fully conscious through the whole thing as react badly to the sedative they use (Versed) and didn't want it so my doctor just gave me a pain killer without the sedative. Pretty interesting actually watching it all. I let you know how this progresses.
Hi, Bob, it's been awhile.  I'm glad you got the ablation.  It took me 3 months after the ablation to be completely a-fib free and another several months or sporadic tachycardia episodes but I have to say, I haven't had any arrhythmia of any sort for the last 2+ months.  So have patience, it does take awhile for the heart to settle down....hopefully for good!  I wish you the best.
Had an ablation 10 years ago and it stopped my afib for 10 years.  They do work.  My afib recently returned due to excessive stress in my life.  I've been on Multaq for 3 weeks now and it' started working great after about 2 weeks.  Plan is to continue for another 3 weeks and discontinue.  If Afib returns, I will get another ablation the following month.