Heart Rhythm Community
My body shakes every time my heart beats.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Is it normal to be able to feel your heart beating everywhere in your body? Depending on what position I'm in, my heart beats so forcefully that it shakes my body. If I'm sitting on the couch with my back against it, I can feel my heart beating through my back, head and neck, and if I'm laying in bed on my stomach, I feel it everywhere on the front of my body, from my face to my chest, stomach, thighs, and feet. My heart beat is so forceful that I can actually feel different parts of my body shaking with every beat. Sometimes it's very easy to see the shaking, but sometimes I'm only able to feel it. It's really distracting because I can always feel it in my head. It feels like I'm always bobbing my head up and down or side to side. No matter which position I'm in, I can always see my abdomen pulsing, too.
I do have sinus tachycardia. My heart rate is rarely under 100 bpm. It's usually around 110 or 115 but it often goes up to 140. I have normal blood pressure, 110/70. I'm 21 now, female, but this has been happening since I've been 14 or 15 years old. It has recently been getting more noticeable though.
I do get that quite often. Even had it as a child in school. At times I couldn't lean against my desk because my body would rock back and forth in time to my heart beat. Even now at my age (almost 57) my heart beat is pretty strong even when I'm not having an arrhythmia. A couple years ago my doctor noticed the very visible pulse in my abdomen and sent me in for an echo to see if I had an aneurysm. LOL  Everything was fine of course.

Only your doctor can tell you if something is wrong with your heart. For me, feeling my pulse is normal and I can't imagine how it would be NOT to feel my heart beating. For awhile after my first ablation for tachy, I couldn't feel my pulse in my body. It was very difficult for me to get to sleep at night. Fortunately, that didn't last long.

The bottom line is I've lived with a strong heart beat for decades and I'm doing fine. Most likely, you are too.
I have this too. I suffer from many svt's but even when I'm in sinus rhythm I can feel it and it moves my body. I've never asked my cardiologist specifically about this but she said it is normal for a really thin  person to have a strong heart beat that others can feel when touching the chest. My son has POTS and when he has tachycardia I can put my hand on his chest and it feels like someone is punching my hand. She said mine is the same and it is because we are thin.

I had heart surgery last year and for weeks afterwards you could see my hospital gown moving with each heartbeat. It was so strong I couldn't tolerate it but it was junctional tachycardia. That causes me to have a very hard and uncomfortable thumping in my chest - very disturbing.
I have the same thing! Randomly sitting or lying or with exercise...anytime...i will start feeling my heartbeat EVERYWHERE! it pulses in my head, neck, hands, feet, abdomen, etc. I also have Sinus tachycardia with vasovagal episodes, which causes me to black out every once in a while. I take medicine to raise my bp bc it is normally too low (40s/80s) and beta blockers, and even with the treatment I still get this feeling of my heartbeat everywhere. i'm not sure i'll ever get rid of it. if your heart rate is that high all the time you might ask your cardiologist about getting a beta blocker to keep it down. It has worked wonders for me.
wow... you should read my last post on neuro... check it out...

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Neurology/Inside-tremor--earthquake-feeling--twitches--pulsating/show/1068026?personal_page_id=778559&post_id=post_4937245

heartbeat/pulsating throughout body.
As the original poster asked, no it is not normal for your body to do this. I know this because for 19 years and 6 months of my life, this never ever used to happen to me. If someone would have complained to me back then telling me 'my body shakes every time my heart beats' i would have looked at them funny and told them that they belong in the looney bin. I could never see how a small heart the size of your fist would have enough strength to rock your whole body with each beat.

Now that I have started experiencing it, i understand. It really does shake your body slightly, and in certain positions, it will rock heavier. I have also noticed that if i put my hand over my heart, i can feel each kick with each beat. It's very strong.

However, i have been to many doctors and cardiologists and had many many electrical tests of my heart and they have found nothing abnormal show up on the results. Every time i have had EKG's i have had the strong pulse and body rock symptoms but NOTHING will show up as abnormal. That is also a big factor as to why the docs think we're making it up.

I personally believe that the heart itself has nothing to do with this feeling. I believe it's in our pulse. i believe what causes our body to rock is an extremely strong pulse, and since we have multiple pulses on our body, each pulse being that strong, causes a movement sensation of our bodies, thats why they cannot diagnose anything with the heart itself because according to them, it's beating perfectly.

Anyway I have had this for about three months now, and i must say, it has been getting a little stronger each week. But whats weird is, i took a valium last night because it got to such a strong point where i thought my arteries in my neck would burst, and today, i must say that i cannot feel it as much. Go figure, blows my mind right out of the water!
this can be a sign of aortic regurgitation.   A strong heartbeat that makes your head nod is known as de musset's sign.  it can also be felt in the carotids, radial, and femoral arteries.  
Saw two cardiologist wore heart monitor 48 hours , nothing ofvany real cardiologist called it pvcs told me to ignore it or take rx .  My family doctor got me to take genlte iron ivs and shortness of breath heart palpitations ended later i read and started magnesium and CQ10, AND B12  now I'm fine. Also read that acid reflux (ALKALINE )can cause it or hidden dental infections. I can't imagine trying to ignore or live with this there is always a cause and solution
If you're a male as you profile indicates, be careful with the iron supplements.  Unlike females, we males cannot rid ourselves of iron build-up through menstruation cycle.  A regular blood donation is very helpful in doing that, and it serves another good purpose as well.
I am re-posting my comment here as it is the same issue that daniiii brought up in his thread.

Hello all... I am a 33 y.o male and have been having the same symptoms from time to time in the past. They started the all over again mid October and have been going on every late evening since.
The "earthquake" starts after 8pm till the early hours of the morning (3-4 am). I visited multiple doctors and had a full medical checkup. The main concern was elevated heartrates from 90 to 120 bpm.
The cardiologist gave me a clean bill of health... I knew I had hypothyroidism and had an endocrinologist run more tests. I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease called Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (Chronic thyroiditis).
It sounds serious but it is not uncommon at all.
Basically the thyroid gland produces the hormones that control your metabolism and your heart rate. Any malfunction of the gland (especially hyperthyroidism, where more of the hormone is produced) directly affects your heartbeat. Even if the rate is not too high it can still feel like an internal earthquake, mostly felt when sitting still or laying down. The constant vibrations/palpitations also cause the nausea and dizzyness by shaking the labyrinth inside your ears, that controls balance.
The fact that it happens late at night or early morning also has to do with the times that your body adjusts hormone levels to prepare you for rest or for a new day ahead.
Having said all that you would expect that since doctors have found out or hypothesised about the cause they would have come up with a treatment to stop the symptoms. Not really!!!
Apparently besides prescribing INDERAL (propanolol hydrochloride) which slows down the elevated heart rates, but does not eliminate the trembling symptoms; doctor suggested a better, lenghty management of the thyroiditis with regular tests of the hormone levels (T3, T4, FT3, FT4, Anti-TPO etc) and adjustment of the thyrohormone with meds (pills).
I hope you found this useful and that I have motivated you all to check your thyroid. Visit an endocrinologist to make sure! Finding what is wrong is a process of elimination, so why not ckeck this out too?
If I have any updates, I'll keep you all posted!  
I am a 42 year female and is experiencing the exact same symptoms of internal shakiness, palpitations and strong heart beat that you can feel in your entire body.  I also feel as if my heart is pushing me.  To find answers I also requested my primary care to check for thyroid anti bodies.  My thyroid level is normal but had high antibodies.  (indicative of Hashimoto's).  My question is if my thyroid level is normal then could it still be a possible that thyroid is playing a role in this strong heart beat and shakiness symptoms I am experiencing ?

I wanted to check with you, if you find any relief from your symptoms ? I have been experiencing the exact same symptoms...and  they are disturbing me so much that I don't know what to do.   Sometime I feel as if I need to go to ER...I have referral for endo now, but I will have to wait until monday to schedule an appointment.  Please suggest..if you were able to treat your symptoms and what meds helped.