Heart Rhythm Community
My body shakes every time my heart beats.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Is it normal to be able to feel your heart beating everywhere in your body? Depending on what position I'm in, my heart beats so forcefully that it shakes my body. If I'm sitting on the couch with my back against it, I can feel my heart beating through my back, head and neck, and if I'm laying in bed on my stomach, I feel it everywhere on the front of my body, from my face to my chest, stomach, thighs, and feet. My heart beat is so forceful that I can actually feel different parts of my body shaking with every beat. Sometimes it's very easy to see the shaking, but sometimes I'm only able to feel it. It's really distracting because I can always feel it in my head. It feels like I'm always bobbing my head up and down or side to side. No matter which position I'm in, I can always see my abdomen pulsing, too.
I do have sinus tachycardia. My heart rate is rarely under 100 bpm. It's usually around 110 or 115 but it often goes up to 140. I have normal blood pressure, 110/70. I'm 21 now, female, but this has been happening since I've been 14 or 15 years old. It has recently been getting more noticeable though.
I do get that quite often. Even had it as a child in school. At times I couldn't lean against my desk because my body would rock back and forth in time to my heart beat. Even now at my age (almost 57) my heart beat is pretty strong even when I'm not having an arrhythmia. A couple years ago my doctor noticed the very visible pulse in my abdomen and sent me in for an echo to see if I had an aneurysm. LOL  Everything was fine of course.

Only your doctor can tell you if something is wrong with your heart. For me, feeling my pulse is normal and I can't imagine how it would be NOT to feel my heart beating. For awhile after my first ablation for tachy, I couldn't feel my pulse in my body. It was very difficult for me to get to sleep at night. Fortunately, that didn't last long.

The bottom line is I've lived with a strong heart beat for decades and I'm doing fine. Most likely, you are too.
I have this too. I suffer from many svt's but even when I'm in sinus rhythm I can feel it and it moves my body. I've never asked my cardiologist specifically about this but she said it is normal for a really thin  person to have a strong heart beat that others can feel when touching the chest. My son has POTS and when he has tachycardia I can put my hand on his chest and it feels like someone is punching my hand. She said mine is the same and it is because we are thin.

I had heart surgery last year and for weeks afterwards you could see my hospital gown moving with each heartbeat. It was so strong I couldn't tolerate it but it was junctional tachycardia. That causes me to have a very hard and uncomfortable thumping in my chest - very disturbing.
I have the same thing! Randomly sitting or lying or with exercise...anytime...i will start feeling my heartbeat EVERYWHERE! it pulses in my head, neck, hands, feet, abdomen, etc. I also have Sinus tachycardia with vasovagal episodes, which causes me to black out every once in a while. I take medicine to raise my bp bc it is normally too low (40s/80s) and beta blockers, and even with the treatment I still get this feeling of my heartbeat everywhere. i'm not sure i'll ever get rid of it. if your heart rate is that high all the time you might ask your cardiologist about getting a beta blocker to keep it down. It has worked wonders for me.
wow... you should read my last post on neuro... check it out...

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Neurology/Inside-tremor--earthquake-feeling--twitches--pulsating/show/1068026?personal_page_id=778559&post_id=post_4937245

heartbeat/pulsating throughout body.
As the original poster asked, no it is not normal for your body to do this. I know this because for 19 years and 6 months of my life, this never ever used to happen to me. If someone would have complained to me back then telling me 'my body shakes every time my heart beats' i would have looked at them funny and told them that they belong in the looney bin. I could never see how a small heart the size of your fist would have enough strength to rock your whole body with each beat.

Now that I have started experiencing it, i understand. It really does shake your body slightly, and in certain positions, it will rock heavier. I have also noticed that if i put my hand over my heart, i can feel each kick with each beat. It's very strong.

However, i have been to many doctors and cardiologists and had many many electrical tests of my heart and they have found nothing abnormal show up on the results. Every time i have had EKG's i have had the strong pulse and body rock symptoms but NOTHING will show up as abnormal. That is also a big factor as to why the docs think we're making it up.

I personally believe that the heart itself has nothing to do with this feeling. I believe it's in our pulse. i believe what causes our body to rock is an extremely strong pulse, and since we have multiple pulses on our body, each pulse being that strong, causes a movement sensation of our bodies, thats why they cannot diagnose anything with the heart itself because according to them, it's beating perfectly.

Anyway I have had this for about three months now, and i must say, it has been getting a little stronger each week. But whats weird is, i took a valium last night because it got to such a strong point where i thought my arteries in my neck would burst, and today, i must say that i cannot feel it as much. Go figure, blows my mind right out of the water!
this can be a sign of aortic regurgitation.   A strong heartbeat that makes your head nod is known as de musset's sign.  it can also be felt in the carotids, radial, and femoral arteries.