Heart Rhythm Community
My pvc's and what is helping me

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

My pvc's and what is helping me

Hello all, nothing new really, I'm still feeling pretty good!! After so many years of feeling lousy and anxious and afraid (15 years I think, loosing track now), it's SUCH a relief that I have found a way to keep my pvc's under control (without beta blockers...). I've been taking fish oil pills for the last 2 years, and it has changed my life. Much less pvc's, hurray, and no more pvc's attacks (when they don't stop, when they drive you crazy, when they scare you to death for hours after hours, days even)! Interestingly, I've just read in a magazine that fish oil and omega 3 is recommended to prevent pvc's! That's a first, I've never seen a medical professor recommending fish oil (so far, beta blockers was always their first advice...). That's very reassuring and obviously people are catching up the fact it really helps. It has helped me, and please try it, but give it up to a month or even longer to actually work. And make sure, it's anti-reflux coated fish oil pills, as you certainly don't want to aggravate your stomach any further (as it is also reflux that causes pvc's in my case). Good luck to you all. It's so easy from doctors to say: forget about it, your heart is ok, just ignore the pvc's. Well, it's not easy to forget when your heart jumps and tumbles, it's darn scary.

I'm so happy this works for you.

I know some people find omega 3 and fish oils a palpitation relief. I still don't understand why, is it possibly due to vitamin D and increasing blood calcium, that can work if your calcium levels are low? Is it because something in this oil have a calming effect on your heart? Not really sure. The most important thing is that it works for you.

Anyway, be careful not to overdose vitamin D. Too high calcium levels can cause palpitations too (I would know).

Good luck!

I'm so happy this works for you.

Good luck!

I'm glad you found releif.  

Please recognize that what works for some people does not work for others.  Fish oil has been clinically proven to be pro-arrhythmic for certain groups of arrhythmic patients in a recent study, everyone should consult their doctor before self-treating.
I absolutely agree, everyone should consult their doctor before self-treating. I have, most doctors listened carefully, then recommended beta blockers and basically ignored the vitamins/fish oils, etc (it's not scientific enough maybe?). I too have read about pro-arrythmia re fish oil. But belief me, after so many years of trying anything to stop these pvc's, I was ready to try anything. I'm just so happy to have found something that works for me. I've been taking the fish oil for almost two years and no negative reactions so far. I keep posting here (let me know if I should stop) because it might help others. It's relatively safe, much safer than taking beta blockers. I found fish oil due to this forum, and I am so grateful it has helped me the way it has. I always stress this is what has helped me, obviously, everyone has to find their own way to cope with this. Keep up the good work, this is such a great place to find answers and support and help!
Hi I'm 40 years old and I have been having PVC for almost 20 years, and let me tell you I have been very scared at some times, My cardio doc says he wants to hold off on giving me beta blockers but he leaves it ultimetly to me.  I am not a pill taker and yet because of this I have had to take activan in moments of extreme stress.  which leaves me feeling scared and terrible.  My PVC were so severe last night I thought my heart would stop, I had had 3 glassses of wine.  Everyone here is talking about fish oils.  what is it and does anyone else have thise as severe as I.  It's especially worse the week before my period and then I can go for almost a full 2 weeks with just having one or two a day.  I am so tired
Pls check my profile and read my posts if you'd like to know more about fish oil and my PVC history. Believe me, you are not alone and have come to the perfect place. This forum has been the best help ever for me! And yes, alcohol is a big no no for me, as it triggers my pvcs. So do certain foods, stress, coffein etc. And I can always tell when my period is close, increase of pvcs. But I loooove fish oil, it has decreased the amount of pvcs dramatically for me.
Finding these comments a few yrs later is my bad luck. But so glad to hear my own story told thru others. Pvcs here. Menstration is the worst time and they scare me nearly to death at times. We should have a support group so when we r having a bad time of it we can comfort and support each other.
Sammi, that's exactly what this forum is for! Help and support for each other and believe me it has helped me more than I can count! When I'm at the end of my rope with these things I come on her to see how everyone is coping. I've even made some friends on here I can private message when things are really tough. I've been coming here for about five years and dealing with crazy beats for decades.
Time flies ;-) 17 years living with PVC's now, still taking my fish oil pills (2xday), still having the odd skips, but no more attacks. You all know what I mean with that: constant skips, this scary feeling it creates, then rapid heart beats, then  panic, etc. I haven't been back here for a while, sorry, since I am feeling ok now. But I haven't forgotten this site! This forum helped me so much when I was at my lowest point. Sending you all strength and courage and hope.
Elli ur right. I agree. I was having a rough time tonight but I come here. Find comfort and feeling better now. Thanks
I started taking Vitamin D packets in water that are flavored. It almost completely stopped them to the point where I didnt even realize them anymore. As soon as I ran out of the vitamin D I was back to square one in about two days. I was having an episode on day and took some in a bottle of water and they stopped in a few minutes.  I have to drink it now. Works better than the beta blocker I have. I dont even have to take the beta blocker if I stay on the vitamin D paks. 2 a day in water.
What kind is the packets, and can you get to much vit D
How much fish oil do you find is necessary to take daily?  Do you have a brand name of the ones that you take?  Are they coated to release the oil further down the digestive tract?  I have been taking 1200mg-2400mg of fish oil daily and have noticed a slight bit of nausea a few hours afterward.  I also ingest a lot of olive oil which is high in omega-3.  I haven't noticed any effect on my pac's but maybe I'm not taking enough.
2x a day enteric coated reflux free fish oil 1000mg (any brand is ok as long as its enteric coated because this will prevent reflux - at the moment  i use Australian naturalcare products) plus 2x Magnesium chelate 500mg, with meals. Give it at least 3 weeks to see any benefits! Plus keep up good eating/drinking habits. I don't drink coffee or alcohol, and avoid reflux creating foods (in my case white bread is bad for me, tomato sauce, etc). Pls note that fish oil is a natural blood thinner (so I have been told by my dentist) so don't take too much and always check with your doctor too.

Remember this works for me, it might be different for you. All the best.
I take mega red, once a day but have still had those 10 hour non stop attacks
sorry to hear that :-( I soooo know how you feel!  in my case, it's definitively the vagus nerve which causes these heart skips. This nerve runs from the stomach up to the brain and somehow also connects to the heart (simply speaking I'm not a doc :-). Now if I eat or drink acid creating stuff = more skips. If I am overly tired or stressed = more skips. It probably affects that vagus nerve which in turn affects the heart. FACTS: Food, Alcohol, Coffein, Tiredness, Stress! (found this in this forum ;-) I used to have a very weak and sensitive stomach after my 10 hrs or more attacks, so am thinking it had something to do with food. This is my theory after years of suffering. Somehow the fish oil seems to help me and I am so happy about that! I hope you can find something that helps you.
Glad you found help with your

Today my flutters stared at 8 am didn't stop till 9 pm long day with them,

They are gone right now, praying they stay away

I did have lots burping with them, thinking acid reflux, but even after burping went away still had flutters

Also have IBS and two days before today was having  IBS issues. Wonder if that would of caused my flutters today?
I've had the skips for years....I think I spoke to you before about them.  So the fish oil is really helping you ?  I haven't tried it ....maybe I should.  Has it helped anyone else that you know of ?
I take fish oil everyday, I still get bad days of paps
You might want to google something like 'burps with fish oil.'  This stuff is notorious for causing the burps.   There are 'burpless' fish oil pills, but I haven't found them very useful, either.  And some people (me, for example) get MORE PVCs on fish oil.
Hi, I know fish oil seems to help some people, but not in all cases. If you google, you find some heart studies that talk of benefits from fish oil. However, not everyone benefits from it, I guess it depends what kinf of pvc's you are suffering from, etc. I definitively only take the enteric coated fish oil to avoid the burping and reflux. And I still have PVC's, they are NOT gone! But the attacks have gone, the hours long constant skips, these scary times, when you think you are going to die (but don't!), and just feel lousy and scared! this forum has helped me to find some answers. I hope you do too. all the best. Sending lots of strength to all the skippers out there.
So happy you are not having the long days with them

I take the mega red fish oils, they don't cause burps

Think my burps are acid reflux or I know they are, I take proslec over the counter

Have not had skips for 5 weeks now, thanking God for that

I have pacs been recorded many times