Heart Rhythm Community
Neck injury causing palpitations?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Neck injury causing palpitations?

Does anyone know if a neck injury can cause palpitations because of the vagus nerve? I dove under a wave and went into the sand diagonally a few years ago where I heard my neck crack and my teeth went numb for about a minute. My neck was sore/aching a little for a few days following that but it went away. One thing I noticed is that I can no longer crack my neck, I use to be able to but when speaking to doctors they tell me that I probably just have corrected my neck (what a chiropractor would of done) but I don't think the numb teeth and pain are normal. I am wondering if I can have some bone/muscle problems in my neck right now like if it is crooked or something and is causing irritation of the vagus nerve.
Sorry I can't give you any direct experience, but I ask as the answer may help others.

You say your teeth went numb for a minute.  Does that mean yo no longer have any such symptoms?  

You didn't give any details on the palpitations.  Were they diagnosed by a medical exam, or is that your appraisal?  What type of palpatations, and when?

In general I't think a neck injury could cause a lot of problems, the spine is a very critical and complex nerve highway... so I think it is possible that such an injury could cause problems... but I am not arguing with your doctor.
Yes, my teeth went tingly/numb for a little bit but they went back to normal. The palpitations can be PVC and PAC throughout the day and symptoms of a psvt episode, I am currently waiting to take tests at the cardiologist to see what it can be. I actually just spoke with another doctor who says that a neck injury or surgery that actually damages the nerve can have an increase in heart rate however if it were to be irritated or just pinched by a neck injury it would actually slow your heart rate down because it is being stimulated, kind of like you stimulating a vasalva maneuver during a svt episode.
Hey guys just wanted to update this post. So after speaking with several doctors it seems as though Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia is considered uncommon and even though many people have it, the condition is still not 100% understood. So when considering reasons that causes Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia the sinus node can be at fault but also other unknown factors. I have emailed several chiropractors to see what they have to say and I will post their replies here when I get them :)
Wow I never thought that the neck can cause palps but upon Reading your post I an thinking perhaps I am suffering similar. I hurt my neck I get headaches and lots of palps. So I am interested to know. Thankyou. I do hope we find an answer
High, Just read your post.  I once read an article written by a chiropractor that said the atlas (the very top of the spine where it enters the cranium) can cause many symptoms if it is out of adjustment.  One of the symptoms mentioned was PAC's in particular.  There are chiropractor specialists called NUCCA chiropractors that deal with this particular problem exclusively.  It is done by non-force on specially designed tables.  Montel Williams visited one of these chiropractors to help with his multiple sclerosis.  People with fibromyalgia also can benifit according to the aritcle.  Might be something to investigate.
Mel48
Update guys! So two chiropractors emailed me back so far and pretty much the short answer is to go in for their free(depending on the chiropractor) for the consultation. One chiropractor out of the two did give more information than the first where he explained that he did hear and read about certain spine injuries(neck) causing heart problems. The only way to know is to get it checked out (i have been putting it off for years now, i don't suffer from TOO much pain *knock on wood* but i feel as though my neck isn't normal). I do want to give a caution, I advise you to see a well respected chiropractor because from what the other chiropractor told me, there was a story where this chiropractor unsuccessfully cracked this patient's neck and it made her dizziness and PACs/PVCs get worse. i might give this a try because the chiropractor said they would be covering some details in the consultation and only if they found evidence of a herniated disk or something then they would contact my primary, but otherwise if they do not start treatment then there is no charge.
Update. A doctor who emailed me back explained to me that the thoracic nerve can be a role in tachycardia as well. He's treated patients for thoracic problems their heart rhythms were corrected.
I was so glad to see that you had found a doctor who actually said thoracic nerve problems could cause tachycardia. I have been having episodes for a couple of years now. I was sure I had a thoracic herniation, which proved to be the case. I also had herniations, bone spurs, etc on my neck. I have always been convinced that the cause of these episodes is from my thoracic or c-spine. I had a full cardiac work-up and no cause was found which just makes me think even more that I was right all along.