Negavitve EP study/Implantable loop monitor
I am 32 yrs old and have been issues with a fast heart rate, syncope and dizziness for about two years ago. I passed about a month ago and had an EP study on Thursday. The EP study was negative, how often does this happen and there actually is a a problem that just isn't uncovered? I have had very fast rates and had one small run of SVT at the ER. I am just so disappointed that they couldn't provoke the arrythmia.
I had a St. Jude monitor placed because the EP study was negative. Does anyone else have one? I had a breast reductions years ago and they put it in through that scar. It was very painful because of the scar tissue and I had to remain in the hospital overnight due to the extreme pain in my chest. Even now two days later I am unable to walk without holding my chest. Has anyone had one implanted? How was your pain level with it?
Just noticed some spelling errors, sorry. LOL. I am still on Dilaudid for the pain and am a bit loopier than normal.
Anyone have any thoughts on either the monitor or the negative EP study? Feeling very alone in this.
Hi i read your post but cannot answer at all about the loop monitor because i have never had one however i have had in the past major issues w. a very fast heart rate and atrial fib and SVT as well.  My heart rate would soar into the lower 300's and believe me that is not a party you want to go to.  I chose to have an ablation done four years ago for the atrial fib, tach and SVT and it was a success for me.  I have always said from day one its not the procedure its the expertise of the ablator and their ability to generate the problem areas and not give up, back out or hit the sinus node. I also suffered from dizziness, near syncopy (thank gawd only near) had an EP Study that was a one stop shop.  Had a great doc who had done more than 1500 procedures so i knew he knew his stuff with no losses and no accidently hitting the sinus/av node.  I chose well believe me. I would try posting one more time on the site to try to find someone who has had the loop implanted and maybe re word the title a little....wish i could help on that side but i can't or maybe i guess i am glad i can't now that i think about it LOL.....hopefully your doc that this the EP Study had at least 1000 ablations under their belt because my criteria when i chose my doc had to have at least 1500 procedures so that i knew they could handle anything that popped up and it also told me that the doc had alot of experience in coaxing the little buggers that are causing the probs and zapping them.....good luck and i hope you get a response i just wanted you to know that someone is out there reading your post.....
there's a few recently who have had EPS's and not been able to trigger things and I know someone recently had a loop recorder implanted due to Vfib so you may want to read some threads and see how their experiences were

also, you could go to the heart disease expert forum and try to get in a question there for one of the drs =)
Thank you for responding=) I went to a military hospital and the doc swore he had done 1000 or so. The nursing care while I was in the hospital was very poor and I had one nurse googling about the ILR because she didn't know what it was. That leaves little faith in my health care. I am thinking of going to Johns Hopkins and starting again. Ugh.
So so sorry that you are going thru this....i think the red flags were thrown all over the field on this one my friend but the great news is that at least you see them and can do something about it.....John Hopkins from my understanding is one of the most progressive and best in the world so sounds like you are choosing well.....don't give up hope my friend...with medicine the way it is today your resolution may just be around the next turn....and thats horrible about the nurse googling.....not someone that i would want dealing w. me if she has to learn about the loop on line and then do patient care on me?  I think not....how scary would that one be?  Good luck on your journey and don't give up hope here because i think you are close to getting your answers.
Did you get sedated for your ablation?  My EP does not sedate at all so that the arrythmias are more easily provoked.  Just an option worth mentioning.  It was not that bad without any pain or sedation meds.    I hope they catch your episodes and can take it from there.  Good Luck!
I was sedated with versed and fentanyl for the ablation. I was a nervous wreck and wanted sedated because of that but now I wish I would have just gone for it without sedation.
The on call doc didn't have a clue if the pain I was experiencing was normal or not. He also didn't know where the monitor was in my chest and couldn't reassure me that the golf ball size was just the  monitor or abnormal swelling from the procedure. Good gravy.I called our patient advocate this morning and am waiting to hear back from them.  It is very frightening when someone says they googled what you had done and thought it was interesting. OMG. Frightening. I was on a CCU as well, so this should NOT have been their first sight of something like this.
Thank you so much for you kind words. This is something noone around me knows about it and I just needed people who have been there done that.
Growing up in the 60's, my late dad was a US Navy Captain and consequently we had free health care IF we wanted it.  I remember Dad many times saying he wouldn't take us there even to remove a hang nail.  I do hope you can get things squared away at JH.
While some military  healthcare is good, there is alot to be desired as well. I was very unimpressed with the care I received and have decided after 13 yrs of dealing with MTF's to go with the option of Johns Hopkins.
Just curious, what would you do for healthcare then?
My parents opted for private medical care.  That's when the doctor would come out to your house when you were sick, and it only cost $5.00.  My dad was c/o of NAS WIllow Grove, PA for quite a few years, if you may know where that is.
I know where that is! We are originally from central PA and pass that on our trips home from DC.
The Patient Advocate is on the case and is ensuring I get transferred to Johns Hopkins by the 1st of the year. I am thrilled. She wants to just make sure my wounds from the EP study and monitor are okay and checked by the original physician before moving me out of the military system.
$5, wow!!!
Hi- I just wanted to tell you that I just had a failed EP study /ablation attempt myself last month, and it was at Johns Hopkins.  I was totally disappointed with the electrophysiologist there and his lack of care for my symptoms.  He couldn't stimulate the extra pathway(I have WPW) so he just gave up and basically told me to have a nice life.  Said if I am "the worrying type I could wear a moniter for a month."  He made me feel like my symptoms must be in my head.  Very frustrating and unprofessional.
So, I am getting a second opinion.  But, just pointing out- just because it is a Johns Hopkins doc does not mean you are going to get top notch care.
Good luck to you!