New to Propafenone
Hello, I have been known to have have tachycardia episodes for the last 13 years of my life, Treatment only started 10 years ago with Atenolol 50mg. Since then I had minor attacks that would last for a few minutes at most. Family Doctor said it was normal since I had tachycardia events prior. Now since January 2010 I've been having abnormal heart beats ( kind of skipping ) all day long. I had a big attack on Feb. 08 2010 lasted roughly 1:45 hour and eventually stopped by itself in the Hospital. While being in the ER they had finally captured my Electrical signals and could now start checking up on me, I asked to see a Cardiologist even though my Family doctor said there was not need?!?

Ended up doing the Holter test, was diagnosed with having regular symptoms of SVT.  The Cardiologist suggested dropping Atenolol and start to use Propafenone 150mg twice a day.

Here's my question

I've been on this medication for 10 days now. I have had multiple episodes of SVT  ( 210 to 233bpm ) and hospitalized twice already since on the drug. Is there an adaption time for these meds to work into the body?
My skipped heart beat is as frequent as ever. Just stressed out because I keep feeling in all day and night.

Iane F.
Man o man that makes me mad when i read posts like yours....for a family doc to tell you that you don't need to see a heart doc is totally ridiculous.......God complex is full force i swear......now of days you don';t need a referral to see a heart doc and personally i would make an appt. to go see one.  Obviously the meds aren't working for you because you are having what  is commonly called "breakthroughs".....go to a heart doc and stop being stressed out...its your body not your doctors.......that is crazy to me that they would tell you that...all you need is to be fully armed with information to what is really going on with you to relieve the stress.....you've been to the hospital in my opinion two times too many and that E.R. should have told you to make an appt. w. a heart doc but hey money is money and everytime you walk thru their door they make thousands....get pro active and take control of your life and don't let others do it for you..............
Thank you for your answer Cindy707,

Well I have made an appointment with the cardioligist for march 22nd. It's far away and close at the same time. I've been reading up on all success stories and some downsides to Ablation. I've been put on a waiting list to have the procedure done. I have yet to know what specific type of SVT I have. Anyways hopping to have some better results in April with an increased dosage or something else until my procedure when-ever that will be. You got to love the Quebec medical system long waiting periods.

Side note :  Been looking around the net and found out that min. dosage for propafenone is usually 450mg a day to help prevent SVT and can go all the way up to 900mg/day. I have no clue why he started me on a sub dosage...

thanks again.