Nuclear Stress Test and Atrial Fib
I am female and 60 years old and had an episode of atrial fib in Feb 2005.  I went to the ER, was given drugs and eventually coverted on my own.  After extensive testing overnight in the hospital, I went home with Rymthol 225 mg.  Within a few hours, I went back into A-fib, returned to the ER and was sent home still in A-fib but with a change in drugs: Rymthol 325 mg and Tiazac 180 mg.  I converted from this episode shortly after arriving home.  Had one more episode the following day lasting for about 1/2 hr.  Diagnosis after episodes and all the testing was a-fib in an otherwise health heart
Since that time, I have had only one episode -- recently for about 15 minutes.  I just went into see my cardiologist for my annual EKG and check-up.  He wants to do a Nuclear stress test.  I am very happy to have this doctor since he basically has controlled through medication a condition that I find to be very concerning and stressful.  But he does not have the best "bedside manner" and often just does not communicate the why's of doing tests, etc.

So, I am searching for a reason to do a Nuclear stress test when that seems to have more to do with detecting blocked arteries.  Can you help me understand or recommend where I might do the research.
i just had one done today, it shows how your blood flows throught your heart and if the muscles are working right, it can show if your heart has stiff parts in it, it shows any beat thats not right if it happens while they are doing it. shows how much stress your heart can handle, what precent its beating at , it shows a lot more than i ever knew . its a good test if you can do it .
Hello...

Typically, ischemia doesn't occur at normal heart rates in most people because at rest, with a normal heart rate, the heart muscle's need for blood is  small, and the amount of blockage of the coronary arteries is not significant enough to reduce the flow of blood to the heart muscle.

During stress, however, when the heart rate speeds up, and the heart has to work harder, the heart muscle requires a great deal of extra blood to generate the energy needed to perform the extra work. Now, if there is a blockage occuring in the coronary arteries it may be significant enough, to prevent the blood flow from increasing, and the heart muscle will become ischemic.

This test is non-invasive and if you've not had one, it can only help further evaluate the condition of your heart. Do you have any family history of heart disease? How is your cholesterol?