Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
Numbness in hands

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Numbness in hands

I have been diagnosed with ectopic arterial tachycardia and with high blood pressure. I am on lisinopril and hydrochlorothiazide. The question I have is about when I sleep I often wake up in the middle of the night with tingling in my hand and arm. I also have a cough that won't go away. I have also had sporadic bouts where my face swells up. I have been to the doctor several times and been tested for every allergy we can think of. All my tests came back negative. And I have had my medication changed or the dosage changed and I am still experiencing these symptoms. Do you have any idea of how I can alleviate them?
That is a tough one.  You mention hand and arm in the singular suggesting it is only one side of your body that gets numb.  The other question is -- is the facial swelling mostly on one side  or does it involve the lips.

If the swelling in your face is only one side and it is the same side that is getting numb, your doctors need to look for something that might be intermittently obstructing your venous flow on that side of your face that might also be compressing a nerve in the same area of your neck.  This would be a very, very rare situation.  It would be more likely if the swelling occurred only when you are in certain positions.

If the swelling involves the lips and involves both sides of your face, I would stop the lisinopril.  Angioedema can be sporadic with ACE inhibitors like lisinopril.  If you, under the direction of your doctor, stop the lisinopril and the swelling stops, that is the answer to your questions.  If the swelling preceded your starting of lisinopril, then lisinopril is not the cause.

If I were you, I would see a neurologist and see what they think about the numbness and tingling at night.  With the information given above, I am not sure what to say about the edema if the above scenerios don't fit.  It might be worth seeing an allergist for a second opinion to see what they think.

I hope this helps a little.  It sounds like a tough problem to figure out.