Oblation Sugury
I had oblation surgury a year ago (may 2008), I still have arial fib.  Apparentlly it was unsuccessful.  I am with the VA and went to Indiannoplis for a check up.. I wa informed that my heart was in a-fib rythm.  They gave  me three alternatives.  Have ablation surgury again,  Be shocked or take a pill called dofetilide.  I also went to see a cardiologist to get another opinion.  He told me to just take the medicine and live with it.  I cannnot dicide which way to go.  Any subjections.  Thank  you
If you heart is otherwise healthy, valves, chambers (size) and arteries, then an electrocardioversion may work.  It has worked for me in the past, not permanently, but for up to 18 months...albeit I had to take Propafenon after the electrocardioversion.

A second ablation may be reasonable if you cardiologist/EP thinks there's chance.  That too depends on the health of your heart... I assume you've had at least on echocardiogram.

Most of us take medication first, then electrocardioversion, then ablation.  That is we stop along the way on anything that works.  Ablation has the most risk in the above sequence.
Thank you for your comment I have be on medicine, since 04.  They had me on amiodurone.  But after a couple a year it started messing up on my other organs. MY thyroid and eyes.  So they took me off and then I had oblation surgury.  They told me that the second time usually has a better chance of working.  
Dofetilide, also know as Tikosyn,  is a fairly new medication and has been quite successful for many patients keeping AFib in check.  You do, however, have to load on to the medication in a hospital setting for a minimum of three days.  Having a second ablation will not necessarily rid you of AFib as I can attest.  I have had 3 ablations and I still have AFib.  

Living with AFib is an arduous task at times.  Are you on coumadin?
ksig