Heart Rhythm Community
One week after ablation for atrial flutter

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

I was in sinus rhythm for 3 days after my ablation, and began walking on the treadmill on the 4th day. That afternoon I began feeling out of sync heart beats and my heart rate was irregular. I've been in and out ever since. My BP runs low, 85/60 into the 50's. When  my heart rate jumping into the high 80s or 90's, and my chest pounds, I get so upset worrying that the ablation hasn't cured my atrial flutter. My heart issues are from chemo from breast cancer in 2006.  I've been reading several posts on here. Is this really normal for after ablation? Did I hurt my heart or the ablation by starting to lightly exercise again? I haven't pushed anything, I've just been walking slow on the treadmill and doing the elliptical, but at no resistance. I'm a 56 year old woman, and in a good weight range. Should I call my doctor about this?  I see him in 3 weeks for ECG. He wants me to have a pacemaker defribulator device implanted.  I had flutter, but still have cardiomyopathy and was running a low EF of 31 prior ablation. I don't know what my EF is now, yet. Can EF increase after ablation for flutter? Thank you.
I would call your doctor's office and ask if you should see him sooner rather than later.  If you really feel bad, I would ask for an appointment.  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Regarding the reoccurance of your flutter after the ablation, I am surprised that your doctor didn't tell you that this is common.  The heart has been jostled and burned, assuming that it was radio frequency ablation.  Lesions form where the work was performed and it takes months to heal.  During this time the heart nerves are remodeling.  Exactly what that means I am not totally certain, but I was told not to make any judgements about the ablation procedure for at least 3 months, and it may take 6 months or more for the total impact to be seen.  As someone on this forum told me, hang in there- it will get better.  I believe that an ablation can reverse or at least stop further cardiomyopathy.
Thank you for your reassurance, Robb.  My Dr. did not tell me that this is common. I read online leading me to that conclusion, and you have confirmed this as well. I called my Dr.'s ofc and was told the same.  (They could have saved me worries by informing me of this...) May I ask you your opinion on what I'm trying to process?  My Dr. wants to implant a defib/pacemaker. I'm fearful and apprehensive. I'll see him in 2 weeks, post this flutter ablation for my ECG. My heart has "some" scarring from my chemo in 2006, from breast cancer. (Not a lot - "some" he said. I'm feeding off every 'slightly positive' word he says) I'm very reluctant to do anything until 3 months post ablation, from what I've read, and from what I'm now told by other heart patients.  Seems silly to ask you this, but I need support and opinions.... If there's a chance of my cardiomyopathy improving, and if there's a chance of my EF increasing as a result, am I naive in wanting to wait 3 months for an ECG to see what my status is? Then, after 3 months, if EF remains low, then consider the device? Thank you. I'm gathering my thoughts and options, and don't want to hurry into a device. Again, thx.
Thank you Dawn. I've read online about this, and Robb also reassured me, that my irregularities are normal after ablation. I called my Dr.'s ofc too. I wish the Dr. would have told me that this could happen. I naively didn't think to ask him... Thank you for your prayers. Blessings.
I assume that you are seeing an electrophysiologist.  You are asking a question that I can only make a guess in answering.  It seems that your EP would want to wait at least 3 months from the time of the ablation before thinking of what the next step should be.  Perhaps he is concerned about your EF and wants to get you back in normal rhythm asap. Are you in constant flutter or does it come in episodes with a beginning and an ending?  I would think that having a pacemaker implanted would not hinder the healing of the heart from the ablation and that at some point the pacemaker could be removed if the work of the ablation was effective.  My ablation was done almost 6 months ago and I am still having periods of afib, but I would say that overall the episodes are shorter.  I know what triggers my afib and I am working on controlling it.  Could it be that your flutter was initiated by the chemo treatments and the scarring that took place?  I would not be fearful of a pacemaker implant if the EP thinks that it is for the best for your heart health at this point, but I would question why so soon.
I had an ablation Nov 8th and remained in a fib for 3 months afterwards.
Almost 2 weeks ago I had went into a 4 hour a fib attack and since then only off and on for a few seconds at a time.
I used a heart monitor for 30 days and had some pretty bad episodes.  I'm scheduled for a second ablation in 7 days. Am I still in a fib?