Heart Rhythm Community
Out of Control Heart rate?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Out of Control Heart rate?

Hi I am 24 and I've been having problems with a really fast heart rate. It all started when I was in the army in 2006, during basic I had an allergic reaction and had to be hit with 3 epi pins in the inside of my thighs. Every since then my heart rate has been out of control even with treatment. I don't know if that incident has anything to do with it but thats when my problems all started. After getting out of the army I returned to my civilian job as a fire fighter. Every time I would go into a structure fire I would nearly black/white out, everything would get quite and I could hear my heart beating. I just coped with it and did things that would not aggravate it and do light duty. I couldn't ignore it anymore, I was walking up my stairs and I started getting crushing pains in my chest and left arm and vomited my heart rate jumped up. I laid down and hoped for the best but my heart would not slow down even after rest. The pains and dizziness did not go away so I went to the hospital, they hooked me up to the heart monitor and my heart rate was staying steady at 150 and 185, that worried them so they gave me fluids to see if I was dehydrated and that didn't help so they brought in the "crash" cart and said that they are going to give me a shot. I said of what? and why is that cart here? He said this medicine is to pause your heart and hopefully return it to its normal rate. It was cardizeim, right after he put the medicine my heart rate sky rocketed up to 230 and would not slow down you he was smart and said need to give you more...3 shots later I am vomiting in severe pain and my heart feels like it is going to explode! It did not help, they transferred me to the trauma bay and was trying to put a central line in just in case and a doctor sat by my bed the whole time until I was transferred to the ICU. They did treadmill tests alot of tests, but could not find anything. I had about 5 visits like this to the hospital and then found a cardiologist. He was really nice until he saw how difficult of a case I was. He put me on a 48 hours monitor and it showed fast heart rate, then he put me on a 30 day monitor and I went maybe two days and after calling in my recording I got a call from the doctor to come in, my heart rate was staying at around 180 and I was having heart arrhythmia's. He did a EKG and saw a few bad spots, but he said nothing alarming. He put me on beta blockers, which made things worse and couple of other heart medicines that had the opposite affect. That was the last time I saw that doctor, my case was too difficult for him, so nowadays I am just trying to do the best I can to regulate my own heart and hope for the best. Does anyone know what this possibly could be? He thought anxiety but he put me on meds for that also and nothing.
Hello...

What a story! The injection you received in the ER was most likely Adenosine. When patients are in a very rapid heart rate the P waves are often very difficult to identify, this particular wave on an EKG needs to be seen in order for the physician to confirm where in the heart the rhythm is originating. Adenosine, not Cardizem, work by blocking conduction through the AV Node mementarily. What hospital did all this happen in?

Have they suggested an EP Study to find out where your electrical issue is coming from. Unless this has been done, I can't see how they can call this a difficult case. People who have been through multiple studies with failed ablations would moer likely than not to be called a "difficult case"

I can't say for sure but it could be some tpe of SVT. Again, without me knowing anything more than what you have told me, this is just a guess.

You mentioned BB's, were you given an antiarrhythmic drug as well? Like Flecainide, Sotolol, Rhythmol etc.
Hello firefighterchic.

Respectfully, I am appreciative for both your service in the Army and as a Firefighter.  Thank You.  

That tells me something about you.  That you are a warrior and a survivor!  This is not going to beat you firefighterchic.  As a matter of fact, you are going to beat this thing that is going on with your heart rate.  You are going to get through this and victoriously!

You may find the doctor with the right advice, supplement and / or medication.  

Call me optimistic; but, I also believe it is not impossible that your situation could not resolve itself just as quickly as it began at some point.  Through faith in GOD, all things are possible to those who believe.  It doesn't mean we won't go through tough things.  You know that, you are a Soldier and a Firefighter.  But it does mean you're not going to go through it "alone" without the ADVOCATE on your side.

GOD can and does place, in our pathway, the way to full and complete recovery and healing.  I believe for you to find that real soon. :  )

Blessing to you.  Peace and comfort with a sense of well-being to you.
I did undergo a EP Study and the doctor said that my heart did not react to it. Only said that my heart rate is high and staying high. My resting rate is 110-120 and can get over 200 bpm when just simply walking, and when I do strenuous activity my heart rate can get well over 200 bpm. So they have no idea whats going on... Yes I was given all medicines, but like I said he was stumped and turned his back on me... which happens alot!
Yes I am going through this alone, but that's OK. Thanks for you advice. I can't find a doctor that will follow through with my treatment they all get frustrated and turn they're back on and and keep pawning me off on other docs! I hope I can get better.
also I get palpitations and it feels like my heart skips beats kinda like it flutters. It feels like my heart is trying to get over a hear, usually when I hit myself in the chest it will go back to number. But I have to hit my chest really hard.
Hello...

When you say the your heart "didn't react" during the EP study, do you mean that they weren't able to provoke any arrhythmia? Have they even given you any kind of diagnosis?

I can't believe you just said "he turned his back on you..." I just said the very same thing to my mother about an hour ago in reference to how, when some, not all, Dr's can't figure out what's wrong with you, or they don't bother to think outside the box. To do this would mean putting fourth a little effort to investigate a cause.

Where are you currently receiving treatment? I  am very sorry that you feel you've been abandoned just when you most need a Dr to show care, concern and interest. I feel very fortunate that my Dr's are very intrigued with my complex and difficult rhythm issues.

I wish that I knew what to tell you. I guess the only thing I can say is to not give up in your quest to find the right Dr. You, as well everyone, deserves to be treated with respect and common decency...even if we don't fit what they like to call "text book case"

I hope that you find resolution sooner than later:D
I agree, but now when I black out from my out of control heart rate I just brush it off as normal. I mean that's what the doctors have told me that this must be normal for me. Also when I get chest pain, pain in the left arm/jaw, flutters, palpitations, nausea/vomiting and high heart rate I just figure this must be normal for me. During the EP study my heart rate was so high they couldn't do much of anything. They couldn't get it to slow down or do anything. When I was laying in recovery that's what the cardiophysiologist told me and that he didn't know what to make of it and to go back to my cardiologist and that this may just be normal for me. I just don't feel comfortable with that diagnosis, I am in school and one of my teachers is a cardiologist and he says that it is not right and I shouldn't take that for an answer. He said get a 2nd opinion and I told him that I have had 4-5 2nd opinions and that they all agreed after seeing what the previous doctor said and the tests that they have done. He said well get a 6th opinion, he said I am young and my body is regulating it and keeping me up but eventually the heart will not be able to beat that fast all the time and will give out. He took my pulse and it was 120 and he asked if I just ran down the hall, but I didn't I was sitting right there. He seemed intrigued and told me next semester to bring in some of my test results and EKG's and he will take a peek at them. He also advised me to try Cleveland Medical in Ohio, it's a long drive but he said my life might depend on it. I just don't want to have another back turned on me. I just don't know if it is worth the heart ache<---more heart ache-lol. He said that all the other cardiologist should have their license taken away for turning their backs on me. He's like well who are you suppose to turn to now? God? I thought that was funny.