Heart Rhythm Community
POTS symptoms?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

POTS symptoms?

I've been monitoring my blood pressure and pulse.  When I sit down, my pulse is around 79 bpm.  As soon as I stand up, it jumps to 120 or higher. Yesterday I went to the grocery store and I could feel the tachycardia especially standing in line.  By the time I left the store, I felt physically ill, weak, tired, etc.  Just wore an event monitor for 7 days and waiting for results.  I do have very low sitting blood pressure, like 109/66, but when I stand up, it seems to go up instead of down, so I don't get the dizziness that POTS patients complain about.  EKG was fine and so was bloodwork.  Anybody have any advice if this could be POTS symptoms?
It could be POTS.  Part of diagnosing any type of Dysautonomia is ruling out other cardiac or neurological causes for your symptoms.  It sounds like you've started the process with the EKG, and blood work.  Are you seeing a Cardiologist?  You may want to ask him/her about a Tilt Table Test.

Also, MedHelp has a Dysautonomia community for POTS and related illnesses that may be helpful to you.  I hope you feel better soon!
a blood pressure of 109/66 should not be considered low, especially if you have no symptoms of dizziness with it.

usually with POTS, blood pressure drops and hr increases upon standing. however, your doctor can order a tilt table test to determine how exactly your body fluctuates at different positions.
My son has POTS and he nearly faints upon standing some times. I have heart disease and orthostatic hypotension (similar to POTS) and have the same symptoms. The main complication with POTS is the fainting. This will occur after standing still for about ten minutes. First the heart rate shoots up (usually higher than 120) and then blood pressure drops and syncope will occur. If you sit down quickly it will resolve. This is because after standing for a period the blood will pool in the legs. A tilt table is really the only way to diagnose this. An event monitor will tell them what type of tachycardia you are having but it does not monitor blood pressure. Stay well hydrated (sports drinks are best) and move around. Don't stand still in one spot for long. Good luck.