Heart Rhythm Community
PREVENT HEART ATTACK

Join others experiencing Heart Rhythm issues. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

PREVENT HEART ATTACK

IN RECENT STUDIES IT SAYS DRINKING RED WINE LOWERS THE CHOLESTROL LEVEL.IS IT GOOD TO DRINK A GLASS OF RED WINE DAILY?.WILL IT PREVENT HEART ATTACK AND LOWERS THE CHOLESTROL LEVEL.

PLEASE CONFIRM
Not sure this is a rhythm question, but as I understand it from a brother-in-law who's a GP and avid red wine drinker, red wine contains tannins which suppress a peptide responsible for the hardening of arteries.

There's also some evidence that tannins can help prevent some forms of cancer.  However, there's also evidence that alcohol consumption promotes certain cancers, too.  

You can find tannins in other foods, too, such as the grapes used to make the wine.  The redder, the more tannins (and the good stuff is in the skin).

Cranberries, strawberries and blueberries have tannins.  And pretty much every kind of berry has something in it that does work to prevent certain forms a cancer.  There's a study being conducted on the effect of black raspberries on esophageal cancer and Barrett's Esophagus - so far the results are promising.

Oh, and you can find tannins in cinnamon, too.

So if you don't like drinking red wine (and I don't), there are lots of other places to find that secret ingredient.