Heart Rhythm Community
PVC while Pregnant

Join others experiencing Heart Rhythm issues. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

PVC while Pregnant

I am currently entering my 11th week of pregnancy and since week 8 I have noticed a lot more PVC.

I have had 2 ablations for SVT, last one year and a half ago left me with the worst skipped beats ever so frequent that I ended up on 50mg of Atenolol, the med greatly reduced the PVC's. I came off this a month before getting pregnant and I'm feeling so anxious that these PVC are going to get that worse again and I will not be able to take a BB, as in the UK they are a big No No when pregnant.

I know they have got no where near to that stage yet, but I have heard that PVC can be worse in the first trimester and then as the placenta takes over they get a little easier, as the hormones level out.

I was in excellent shape prior to pregnancy worked out regularly so I hope this will help the heart cope with the extra blood volume and demands.
Just to also note my PVC even when on BB used to act up just before my period and when ovulating, so I know they can be hormone induced.

Would like to hear from anyone who has managed to get through their pregnancy and hopefully did not see a huge increase in the number of PVC's.

Many thanks

Tracey
Well I am long past my pregnancy days, but I can tell you that I have had pvcs for a very long time, and I remember they were so much better when I was pregnant. I really think that you will find everyone is different though, so if you can, try not to borrow trouble. Congratulations on that little one! I know you want to talk to someone in your situation, but I wanted to at least put my 1 cent in. :)
Thank you so much Jenny :)
Are you having an increase in PVC's or PAC's? SVT comes from the upper chambers, hence runs of PAC's. PVC's come from the lower.  Are you saying that your upper chamber ablation caused PVC's?  I'm only asking because I've been diagnosed with NSVT and am thinking about getting pregnant and am worried that it'll trigger something worse.

Are you sure they are PVC's or are you using the terms interchangeably to just describe the feeling of your palpitation?

I have only ever been diagnosed as PVC on 24hr monitor. Apparently cardiologist believed it was the PVC that would trigger the SVT. I had AVNRT most common form if SVT.

After the ablation I had tons more PVC then I did prior to the second ablation and was put on a BB to ride these out past the 6 month ablation recovery time which did the trick.

Now I'm pregnant I have had PVC daily coupled with what felt like my heart was trying to through itself back in to SVT but only for a few beats then stops.

Hormones are a massive link to my PVC and believe that is why the increase in the last few weeks as the hormones rise.

It is manageable but hoping it does not get any worse.

Regards to PAC's these have never presented themselves on any ECG, Echo all of which after two ablations have been plentiful to say the least.
Forgot to add I have always had PVC since I can remember as a child so nothing new after the ablation just the intensity and frequency. All of which calmed down up until now I'm pregnant.
My palps worsened slightly with my first pregnancy and went back to "normal" shortly after giving birth. With my second pregnancy they were much worse and have worsened still since giving birth. It's impossible to tell how your body will react since, for some people, pregnancy seems to make the palps better, some it makes it worse. For me, even though I had more palps during pregnancy it didn't bother me as much since it is considered a common pregnancy complaint. It's since giving birth when the expectation was that they would lessen, and they didn't, that they really have started to wear on me emotionally.

I am still nursing my son and my cardiologist wants to wait until I wean him before we decide what next step we should take in treating my PVCs. I do know that hormone fluctuations are a  huge trigger for me so I'm hopeful by a few months post weaning they will have leveled to a point where I'm at least able to bear the PVCs without too much detriment to my quality of life.
Thanks for posting your experience. I'm a member of another PVC support site on Yahoo and there is a young lady going through exactley the same. She is breast feeding and the PVC won't let up, strange thing was she did not notice them too much in pregnancy.

If mine are still playing up after giving birth I won't be breast feeding and I will be back on the BB that gave me the most relief.

Hope you find they calm down soon once your hormones are back to normal.
It is such a tiring and draining condition to have.