Heart Rhythm Community
PVC

Join others experiencing Heart Rhythm issues. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

PVC

I have been having PVCs for almost a year now. My first Holter monitor showed just 4 PVCs in 24 hours so I was put on a 21 day event monitor that caught a lot of the PVCs. It also showed 3 PVCs in a row. For this reason my GP referred me to a cardiologist. He put me on metoporol which helped a little but I had to stop because it lowed my BP too low and I was getting lightheaded. He did an echo and said there's nothing that causes any concern right now. He did another 24 hour Holter which had 5,000 PVCs. He changed my medication to Coreg 3.125mg twice daily and it has not helped at all. I get chest discomfort and shortness of breath. He doubled my dose and said to go back in a week. It has been driving me crazy and I have become concerned about the 3 PVCs in a row and made the mistake of looking it up online and learned it is concerned V-tach. I am wondering that since my echo was normal, what are the chances that I would end up with v-fib? I am a 24 year old female, normal weight. I had high BP during and after my pregnancy (preeclampsia) up until about a month ago. I would rather have an ablation done so I don't have to suffer any more. My dad, grandma, and aunt have all had ablations done for different types of arrhythmias. Any advice would be great.
In an otherwise healthy heart pvcs not caused by heart disease rarely lead to sudden cardiac death.  Many people experience small runs of vt but unless your heart is damaged you are likely going to be fine and the few extra beats in a row you experience will convert on its own no problem.  
The thing is doctors generally rarely perform ablations for pvcs unless there is close to 20,000 a day.  It is hard to map the lower amounts and ablations for pvcs can sometimes cause more harm than good.  To correct the issue they have to create scars on your heart and the scars themselves can create problems.  To be honest it is possible the meds are making your situation worse.  I know my pvcs come in more often the slower my heart rate and the bp meds you are taking do lower heart rate so though the meds can help some they are not right for everyone.  Your best bet is to try and pinpoint your biggest triggers like stomach issues or and especially stress.  Once a spot in your heart starts firing extra beats it will always have the potential to go off but you can lesson the amount by addressing your triggers.  Try to not focus on the fear of the situation.  They are in fact, only extra beats and nothing more.  The more you allow yourself to fear them the more of them you will get.  So try to not let them run your life and you may very well find they just disappear at some point.  Hang in there and just know you are not alone.  There are many here who suffer from pvcs.  Take care.