Heart Rhythm Community
PVC's Palpatations Low Potassium??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

PVC's Palpatations Low Potassium??

Does anyone with benign PVC’s have low potassium.  I just started getting these a few months ago and now they are out of control.  Had a stress test that showed them but no heart disease.  I am getting an Echo today so hopefully Ill find out more but I already know what the answer is going to be.

I am tired of asking why and getting upset.  Now I want answers and maybe we could help each other since the docs don’t really seem to know what is going on.  When I asked for Potassium results from my blood work over the past few years my levels are never above 4 and have been as low as 3.  My doctor said that this didn’t matter but I don’t agree.  I agree that these wont kill me but I don’t agree that they are normal.  There has to be something off at a cellular level of the heart to be doing this to so many people.  

Emedicine health says that if your potassium levels are below 3.5 then that is to low and can cause or amplify PVC’s so did the ER doc.  Ive had weird health issues along with my heart over the past 3 years that no one has been able to figure out. Im wondering if it could have been low Potassium/Magnesium all along.  A year ago I was put on Magnesium to help with my issues and it did.  Magnesium can affect the heart like Potassium.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone knew this info.  I know we need doctors but sometimes its good to do your own research as well.
Come to think of it, a few times when I was in the hospital for my a-fib/flutter I would get these 4 HUGH potassium pills to take because my potassium was low. I did ask and I never really got a straight answer as to why my potassium was low. I do know that when your potassium is to high it can cause arrhythmias (when my dad was on dialysis  they had to monitor his potassium levels weekly).
I was thinking after I posted.  They say that the American diet is killing us all.  I know people who do nothing but consume soda, coffee etc.  What if our hearts are doing this because we are not taking in enough of what we need.  You get Potassium from fruits and juices etc.  I know that I myself can go for days sometimes without having any of those things.  I can see where levels could get really low among all of us.  There are so many different foods and drinks and Im sure just simple water doesnt help your Potassium either.  

I might be reaching but what if all this heart stuff is just something as simple as diet.  If thousands are suffering.  It has to be something simple.
I have low Potassium and low Vit-D levels. I have been having alot more pvcs than normal latley...like every other beat for hours every day and I'm always lathargic and dizzy.

I always take a multi-vitamin and extra vit-d and eat a banana and oj every day so I have no idea why my levels are low. Patato's are a great source of Potassium. I don't drink nearly enough milk though.

I pray everyone starts to feel better very soon. My prayers go out to all of you.

Tara
Low vitamin D - how's your calcium level? If it's elevated, even though it might still fall within the high end of 'normal' - you might want to have your PTH (parathyroid hormone) level checked. Hyperparathyroidism can contribute to rhythm problems. Look at http:///www.parathyroid.com for more symptoms/info.

If your calcium and PTH are good, then you're probably low on vitamin D simply because you live in Michigan. I'd bet over half the population there is vitamin D deficient - simply because the Sun is at too low of an angle during most of the year to be able to cause vitamin D synthesis in your skin. Plus, when you do go outside you're probably bundled-up - so you wouldn't get much Sun even if it were intense enough. Check out Dr. Neil Nedley's site for more info on vitamin D deficiency: http://www.drnedley.com

Best regards,

HangGlider  
I've been thinking along the same lines as you.  Vitamins play an important role in keeping us healthy.  I don't take any.  I want to but don't know where to start.  I do eat healthy but not a lot (I'm small) so I'm probably not getting the daily recommended doses.  I eat nuts, yogart, flaxseed, banannas, salmon, spinach, egg whites...all that stuff but I still get these pvc's.  I don't drink soda,and I might have a decaff a couple times a week.  It makes me crazy why we can't figure this out.
I just checked my bloodwork from June of last year and my potassium was 3.9.  hmmmm maybe you are on to something
Frenchie
Here is my semi-educated guess through my experience....
I believe that during my mid-cycle(ovualtion) ,which is when i experience most of the arrythmia, my potassium and/or magnesium levels drop which causes this rapid heartbeat and pvcs.  I am having bloodwork during my next ovulation to confirm this. I believe this is hormone related and deficiency related. I have tracked when this stuff happens to me and it is always mid-cylce. Something is happening to me during that time to cause this stuff, i just need to figure out what that is.  When I was in the hospital for this, my potassium was low.  I am thinking that the hormonal inbalances during this time is causing deficiencies. There is something called slow-mag that is suppose to help with arythmias. I haven't tried it yet because I don't know if it will interact with the nadolol that I am on.  I will get to the bottom of this!
I just left a post on my whole diet situation in another post below this one.  Its amazing to see how far I have come since I posted this back in September.  I feel amazing.  Mine is hormonal.  You could be on to something Christine with the low vitamins during cycles but I wouldnt know now because I take stuff everyday to counter act what is going on.  The Potassium, Fish Oil and herbs really made a difference for me.  

I think Hangglider has a point too.  I moved to Southern Cal from the North East last year.  I was still having so many issues but the sun helped to keep me calm.  There is nothing like a sunny day to lift your spirits.  I live by the heart tracker on this site it has helped me so much.

Lucy
i printed out your long post and i am going to try some of the stuff that you have been doing. Thank you for sharing your experience!
I know it was long but I didnt want to miss a detail.  I think that every little thing has helped me.  There is a sort of balance going on right now.  Please let me know if you find anything more into the hormone thing.  All docs say no way but Im not buying it.  When you use the tracker you cant snub the facts.
Lucyluu - I printed out your other post too.  I'm so glad that I have found other people that believe this is hormone related.  

What tracker are you talking about?  I also worry about herbs because so many of them can cause heart issues.  

Thanks again for sharing.
Frenchie
I am 99% sure that its hormone related with me and a Potassium problem.   However the Potassium could be from what Christine stated above.  I am talking about the Heart Tracker on this site.  Ive been logging in info since July and I have found that my heart goes nuts when I ovulate and have my period.  I started to notice the pattern as I changed my diet and my anxiety calmed down as I got used to the issues.  My body is like clock work right now and I pretty much can predict when I am going to have to take a med or try to fight through because I know its something Ive been through before.  You can take notes and then go back a few months and see if you had the same symptoms.  I find that I have the same symptoms but not in consecutive months so when I go back and see that I had the problem 2 months ago its not so scary anymore.

I was also told by my a neurologist a few years ago that herbs would make my clotting worse and not to take them.  However after years of no progress with the doctors and my heart just getting worse, I had to take matters into my own hands.  After a lot of research and referrals from friends who all use the same Acupuncturist, I decided to give her a try.  Its funny because she put me on these herbs that move blood and cleans your intestines at the same time.  Works like an asprin.  I ended up in the ER again and I brought the herbs because I wanted to be sure that I wasnt there because of taking the herbs.  The nurse told me to throw them away and snorted at me for taking them.  The doc took them and came back with a confused look.  He said that he couldnt tell me not to take them but wasnt going to endorse them either.  It was my fourth trip to the ER in a few months so they had 4 sets of labs for me.  My clotting levels were the lowest ever and he said it was probably because of the herbs.  He told me to be careful and to definately not take my Asprin with those herbs because it would thin my blood to much because the herbs were doing exactly what the Acupuncturist told me moving blood.  I thought that was funny so with no other hope I have really put a lot of faith in this woman and it has worked out.  There are things she cant help me with like my diet that has helped me.  I had to do that on my own and she hasnt been able to get rid of my Ocular Migraines but she has helped me with 70% of my issues.  When dealing with Acupuncture though you have to be very patient.  I didnt notice results with my heart stuff for a month.  Back pain I noticed on the first day but internal stuff took longer.  Its best to work with a woman and to research triple before you go to someone.  There are a lot of people out there who dont know what they are doing and then there are people like mine who do.  Mine also has a PHD so that was a bit comforting.  Go for the ancient Chinese style because that was designed for women vs the Japanese or any other method that is out there.  Dont take any herbs without talking to a person who knows about the stuff.  It does work and you can mess yourself up if you dont know what you are doing.  The herbs also dont work the best with American meds so a good Acupuncturist will be able to guide you in this situation.

Another long post, sorry guys:)
I think we are on to something too. I will let you know when I have my bloodwork done during midcycle. I too can calculate to the day when these things are going to start coming on based on what day a get my period. It is usually exactly 13-14 days after the onset and then i deal with  the worst of it for about two days then get PVCs for about a week after.  The VT seems to trigger the PVCs.  Then it clams down, though not totally, for about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks.
I have added you as my friends. i am sure that we can help eachother or at least lend moral support!
Sounds good, the people on this site have really helped me over the past 6 months.  I really think I would have worried myself to death because no one in my world has this problem.  

I have 2 good weeks a month and 2 bad.  The night before my period is the worst ever.  My hr jumps to 105 - 120 resting and then its just strings of PVC's until it starts.  Then the next day is heaven and the following week.  Then day 10 of the cycle comes around and its a gradual increase in symptoms until the height of Ovulation.  That is a bad night but not as bad as the night before the period.  After Ovulation my heart calms down a bit but the symptoms are still frequent and get worse until the night of hell when my period starts again.  

Its funny as a girl you dread your period starting.  Now I pray for it to start so I can have my week of solitude each month:)  

I love being a woman.... Please share any info with me.  I am open to anything.  I have not been on the site much over the past 2 months because Acupuncture has been doing my body great but I respond to email all the time.

Lucy
I have PVCs and NSVT and periodically my potassium shows up low. In fact, every time I'm in the hospital during the time of arrhythmia it is low (just below 3).  Sometimes it's fine though.  yesterday it was 4.2 or thereabouts.   It can cause problems.  And I always get those big, chalky K+ pills, too, when they find that it's under 3.  They are huge but if you let it sit in your mouth for 2 seconds it falls apart and is easy to swallow.  My potassium does go up from the pills but not much.  Bananas and stuff don't seem to do anything either...
I found I had to juice veggies and eat a lot of avocoados on top of bananna to get my Potassium right.
oooh, avocados?  I love avocados and have an awesome guacamole recipe if you are ever interested.
Yeah, Bananas alone don't do it for me.  A juicer is a great idea.  I think I have one around here somewhere, too (hubby goes through 'phases', LOL).  It was so interesting reading this thread.  I swear I have the same probs that you and Christine talked about - hormones and low K+ levels during ovulation and, sometimes, for me, premenstrual.  My cycles also vary - anywhere from 28 days to 35 or more days.  I don't know if it's the same for you guys, but I notice that the longer the cycle is, the worse my symptoms get. Like if it's just 28- 30 or so, my symptoms aren't so severe but the longer it takes the worse the palps and arrthymias get, and other PMS symptoms.  It's like my hormones are trying really hard to make it happen but are struggling or something is screwing it up...?  Hope that's not too much info.  LOL.
Well, when I went to the ER last summer for my extra annoying PVC's they took an electrolyte panel and I was one number from being too low. The doc told me to take extra potassium. I have done that, and it does help...............sometimes. I know when I do not take my minerals like I should, they will flare up, so, I am sure the potassium DOES play a part in it.
Interesting on the extended cycle because that does happen to me.  When I go longer than normal its holy hell.  They really need more female Cardiologist because the males are just not buying this hormone thing.  I wonder if its because they dont understand.  Someone should print all these posts and take it to their doc.
Wow.  This is so eye opening.  I have been told I'm full of mularkey by the doctors for years about all of this.  I *know* this is the deal though because it's been going on for years.  No one believed me about the hormone imbalances, everything comes up 'normal' - but then I started having weird symptoms last fall - mid cycle spotting, etc.   I went to OB/GYN hoping that maybe they'd find some indication that something was 'off' (even went in and got bloodwork done during the 'spotting') but still everything came up normal.  There's gotta be something going on - I wish someone could figure it out.
Bah.  I may be the one person in the world looking forward to menopause.  LOL.  Or, at least, post menopause.
I went to my GYN last Friday, she is female so I was full of hope that she would be able to give me some relief by telling me that she thought the palps were hormone related.
Well, I was sorely mistaken, she dismissed the idea very quickly and said that hormone levels had nothing to do with what I am experiencing so I am back at square one!
I do go to see my cardio dr on the 20th and I am going to ask him about it and also if I can take potassium pills with on verapamil.
There has got to be a connection. too many of us have the same experience. I have been increasing my potassium intake through bananas and avocados and taking something called slow-mag. It has really helped, i think. I will let you know in 10-14 days when my hormones really seem to go crazy. I am getting bloodwork drawn during that time to prove it! I know there is something to it!
Just to remind you Christine that it took a while for all the vitamins and diet changes to take effect.  Give it 3 cycles.  

I love how docs are so sure one moment and then later come back with new studies show.  There is still so much to the human body that they dont know and its so comical to me how quickly ideas are dismissed.  Notice when ever they make a mistake and are caught,  they always are quick to say that all docs have a license to practice and they play dumb and open minded at that point.
I will keep that in mind. Thanks! Hopefully, it helps! Did you say avocados have potassium or omega 3 or both?
I've started to get PACs in early December.  At first, it was a few a day, then it went to 5-10 a minute.  Did the stress and echo and everything seem fine.  My calcium blood level was a bit high on the borderline side.  I think it's due to me taking rolaids and eating yogurt daily for the past few months.  I've read that there is a magnesium / calcium ratio.  If that is the case, what is the best way flr me to intake more magnesium?  Currently, I've just been eating daily portions of salmon, peanuts, and a banana.  Not everyday but closer than I usually would.  Any input would be much appreciated.  Thanks.
I found that my PACs/PVCs were improved enormously when I started taking magnesium: the improvement could be felt within about 24 hours. The one time since then that I've had a long, bad episode of SVT was immediately prior to starting a period. So I definitely agree with you guys about the hormonal/menstrual cycle connection.

One thing I'm still a bit confused about is the relation of potassium to magnesium. First time in the ER my potassium was too low - and I was taking no supplements at all. Second time it was my magnesium that was too low, even though I was taking magnesium supplements. There may be some kind of balance that it's necessary to maintain. I know that levels of one electrolyte affect levels of the other.

I'm now only taking a regular multi-vitamin/mineral which contains 33% of the recommended daily amount of magnesium (100mg) plus a trace (40mg) of potassium. And I have had no problems at all recently. That may be a coincidence and nothing to do with the supplement, but I am at present convinced that this is the magic formula for me, and I am sticking to it!

If I find out any more information I'll let you know.
yep, I am skipping and blipping along - should get my period any time now.  Irritating.

My theory is that there is an underlying problem with my heart that is asymptomatic and my cycle sets it off.  Now that I think about it, my spotting episode was just a couple months post miscarriage, so that weirdness was likely related to that - body getting back on track.  Hormones always come up normal.  

Like they found a few things that, in a vaccuum, might not be an issue, but I think they are enough of an issue that hormone changes set it off.  LLike maybe my borderline long qt reading.  It's high/normal - so the EKG says 'normal' but it's high enough maybe to be trouble during times of hormonal flux.  Something I was thinking about was that a lot of doctors will just read the results without looking at the readout.  Mine does say it's normal, but the doctors at Mayo looked at the rhythm regardless of that.  
As for my echo, who knows what is up with two totally different results in less than a month.  But there are likely subtle issues going on that are being triggered by body chemistry changes.  Normal changes, but still sets it off.

I hope I get this figured out before menopause kicks in or I'm going to be in trouble for that crazy ride.