Heart Rhythm Community
PVCs and Exercise

Join others experiencing Heart Rhythm issues. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

PVCs and Exercise

I was in "remission" since I figured out my PVCs were directly related to low potassium levels. As long as I took my potassium supplements, I was fine. I normally exercise vigorously 4 times a week.

Recently I had an injury to my ankle and am in a soft-cast. Per my orthopedic surgeon, I can't do any cardio exercise at all--not even the recombant bike. Well, guess what? My PVCs are back with a vengeance, and it's not related to my potassium levels because they checked out fine. Several other tests were negative (including a CT scan).

I was wondering if anyone else had such a strong correlation with lack of exercise and PVCs. Thanks!
Exercise can do a lot to relieve stress and remove adrenaline from your system, reducing or eliminating PVC's.

If you look for recommendations of how to reduce or eliminate them, exercise is usually toward the top of the list.  So if you aren't getting any exercise at all, that may be the problem.

Can you swim with your injury?

You might talk to your surgeon and explain the situation - (s)he may be able to make some suggestions.
I envy you. I wish I could exercise. I try, but, my PVC's will sometimes act more when I do. I was told it was due to being apprehensive, but, still, I get scared. I think the clincher was this past summer when I was in Everett Washington checking out a school. My fiancé` and I were walking there as it was close to where I was staying, and all of a sudden, I had quit a run of the things, and they would not stop, I was so scared. They finally did stop, but, I was so upset that I cancel my school and everything, in other words, I let them run my life. I have not had an episode that severe since, but, each time I walk, I am afraid I will. I sometimes walk through the mall, most the time I am OK, or, if I do feel them, they are small "blips". I live in a small town, so the mall walking is done when I have to shop out of town, here, I just have to walk outside, or, do indoor walking with Leslie Sanson, it is a neat DVD and the length is 2 miles, I have a 4 mile one too, when I was not afraid and felt better, I could do that one, I am trying to be brave and do it again, I know my doc wants me too, she said there is no reason why I should not exercise.

I know it is good for you, and I should try, I just need to get up the nerve, and right now, with all the snow and ice on our roads and sidewalks, I can not go outside anyway, it is indoors or not at all.
Avatar n tn
Thanks for the replies!

I can't swim very well, but that is a great suggestion. Right now I'm doing weight work (very, very light weights--I'm female)  and it is getting my heart-rate up a little. But you can imagine that it does aggravate my PVCs.

I have had PVCs while exercising and they scare me to death. But after all my tests, I have accepted that they are not going to kill me, providing my electrolytes are OK. Once my heart got into condition the PVCs seemed to stop--maybe a few here and there. I do have to be careful that if I sweat a lot it will affect my potassium levels. Have you all had your potassium levels checked? Just a suggestion. I suffered from PVCs for many years before any doctor thought to check it out.

Good luck to all of you.

Avatar n tn
I just wanted to clarify that the docs did order labs and my potassium was always "normal" but only a couple points from low. So technically it was OK. But then I would sweat a lot or exercise and that would bump me into hypokalemia. I also take a diuretic for HPB. So, bad combination. Anyway, if your levels are "normal," some  circumstances could result in you becoming low, even just sweating.

Take care.
It's funny, I'd never considered much with the potassium angle, but maybe I should.  I am a profuse sweater when I'm exercising, and my job is a pretty physical one.  Just in the interest of having a healthy diet I usually eat a banana on most days, but maybe not all.  

Something for me to look into.
When I went to the ER this past Summer in July, they took some blood work, and even though my Potassium was "Normal" it was only one point from being "abnormal" the doctor told me right away to take extra supplements of the mineral, and, she also said, if it had been lower, she would have given me an IV of it before I went home. I went because I started having PVC's that did not want to stop, and for me, that is not normal, so, over I went, they are right behind me. Anyway, they hooked me up to the monitor, I heard all kinds of irregular "beeps" but, the doc and RN were not concerned and the EKG was great. They said it was anxiety, low potassium, and probably an adrenalin rush due to my sugar being high, I had just eaten, it is usually low.

Anyway, having a good electrolyte balance is important. More than most of us realize.