Heart Rhythm Community
PVCs back but this time i know why....

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

PVCs back but this time i know why....

Hope everyone is well :)

A quick question:
Why is it whenever i become careless with my diet and get indigestion/acid etc my pvcs come back?
I have months and months with no pvcs but as soon as my tummy gets upset the pvcs come back?? Does anyone else get this??
Its strange that many doctors seem reluctant to acknowledge a relationship between acid reflux and palpitations.  I am convinced that it contributes to the problem.  I never have heart palpitations in the morning on an empty stomach.
I had a similaar thing on Monday night where I had been pvc free for a few weeks but something really upset my stomach which was gurgling away like mad and I had hours of terrible pvc's which kept me awake until 3'ish the next morning.
My stomach is Ok again now and my pvc's have gone!
Well both my EP and cardiologist agree that indigestion/acid etc does seem to be my trigger. It took me ages to figure it out but i am certain that if i control the indigestion i'm ok but its easier said than done as any amount of stress or anxiety seems to upset my digestive system straight away causing the pvcs to kick in!! :(
I know several people, myself included, who get PVCs or Afibs after eating heavy, fatty type meals.

I'm sure there is a connection although my cardiologist doesn't think so.

I have fewer incidents when eating healthy foods, that's for certain.

I have made the connection for several years between my digestion and my SVT and PVCs. At first my EP doc said there was no connection as many other docs do but the last time I saw him he agreed it could contribute because of the vagal response thing.
MY biggest connection is with beer.  I have always had indigestion problems and have tried everything to curb it. But now beer (which I did really enjoy) can make me have PVCs after just one. I have also found out my gallbladder is not quite right. So anyway if I nurture my stomach I can somewhat reduce the SVT and ectopic beats to a minimum.
If I eat spicy foods like Mexican food, Italian food, etc. greasy foods, alchohol, etc. I get heart problems. Boring life !! If I stick with bland foods I'm not cured but a lot better.
I think with the bad gallbladder my stomach bloats easy.  So on full stomach I can trigger SVT by bending over or stretching too quickly.
I guess if I eat crackers and stand still I'll be OK.
dolfnrv has posted several really good explanations regarding the connection between stomach and heart, check out her responses. Or check out the vagus nerve on the web: it's a nerve which is connected from your stomach way up your esophagus via your heart, etc. When your stomach is upset, it somehow irritates this nerve, which in turn irritates your heart (that's a really simple and probably not 100% correct explanation, but it kind of makes sense to me, especially considering how very aggressive the acid is in our stomachs!). Because why is it, that the heart skips like crazy when I eat the wrong foods or drink alcohol, or am stressed! And other times, when I watch my diet, it's quiet. By the way, I'm trying out fish oil at the moment, and wahoooo, I'm feeling pretty good (touch wood!), not totally cured of course, but I'm just feeling better!
maybe you are right.  i just started to have these noticable pvcs three days ago. i have never had them before or unless they were quite. they stop me in my tracks now.  it might sound ridiculous, but do you think after eating huge meals, chocolate, and spice during thanksgiving could be a big factors?  I am freaking out with going to the cardiologist today and this heart monitor is only making me have anxiety.????
well, it's always advisable to go and have your heart checked. And don't worry about the heart monitor :) Anxiety only aggravates and causes pvc's! As with so many of us in this forum, most likely you will come back with: your pvc's are benign benign benign! They still freak me out, after so many years having them, but if I watch, what I eat, eat smaller meals and more frequently, then I'm pretty right. I also take vitamins (magnesium and vitamin B6 and eat lots of bananas = potassium), all good for the heart. I've added fish oil recently, and that seems to work for me at the moment :) You will need to find your own way how to deal with your pvcs of course. I can't drink alcohol (or not too much anyway), or eat anything too acidic, stress is bad, and exhaustion too. Good luck at the cardio, it will be fine no doubt!
by the way, it's dolfnlvr, not dolfnrv, sorry...
All my svt episodes occur when i have really bad bloating and then i eat a big meal. I get bloated so quickly even if i'm just drinking water! No idea why, doctor thinks that anxiety is the root of all my digestion complaints.
This is just not true.  You can ask any doctor and they will tell you there is NO way that PvC's and acid reflux OR eating large meals can cause PvC's.  There is no evidence or scientific data to even suggest it.  I dont think the doctors that have more training and education than your entire family are wrong  :p
And you know it is not true because??? you're a medical professional??

You say any doctor will tell you that there is no connection but that is not correct as my doctor has explained there is a connection in my case.

Also if you read my initial post/question i explained that both my cardiologist and EP both AGREE that there is a DEFINITE connection between pvcs and digestion, in fact my EP and GP recommend i take indigestion remedies to help! The EP that i have been visiting is the best in England and certainly does know what he is talking about!

It is obvious that indials who have pvcs for many years are able to recognise what triggers their pvcs!! Just like i am certain that indigestion symptoms trigger my pvcs.
I think it is more stress & anxiety that cause the PVC's. But I do notice them more when I'm feeling guilty of unhealthy eating/smoking/drinking alcohol.  They seem to be more intense after evening meals, or trying to relax and watch TV after dinner.  I still have them during the day though, but less noticable since I'm occupied doing something I.E. work duties.  I have been fine all day today without an episode until eating dinner and trying to relax.  I do have heart burn & acid reflux quite regularly. I've even woken up in the middle of the night choking on regirgitation/acid and gasping for air because of the acid going down the wrong pipe. Kind of like swallowing water and it going down the wrong pipe type of thing.  Very scary to wake too.  PVC's run in my familyMy mother (58yrs) and Brother (37yrs).  My Brother's PVC's have subsided since he starting treating his acid reflux.
Well if you are so sure of yourself and your doctor, then why are you posting this page?  
I guess that my cardio doctor is wrong according to you because he says that there is no connection between Gerd, Reflux, or any kind of vagal tone.  Could it be speculation?  If you have solid proof, I would love to read about it.  Can you honestly say you have never had PvC's with your reflux, not one single one??  I believe there is no true answer to where they all come from, but certain things might provoke them like reflux.  Who know.. goodbye  :p
Oh Yeah, Why dont you try reading some of the doctors post on this site.  Here is one regarding your question, and there are several more like it.

by Michael J. McWilliams, M.D.

Add as Friend
Michael J. McWilliams, M.D.
Male, 37 years
Wilmington - NC
Member since Jul 2007

, Oct 20, 2008 07:53PM
1) I sometimes get 5 0r 6 pvc's in a minute and can get up to 10,000 per day.In a bad day.  Is this dangerous or should I try to ignore it.
Also can PVC's be linked to indegestion or the vagus nerve??

Most PVCs are not dangerous.  Is up to you and your doctor to determine if they are dangerous.  If you have a normal EKG, normal echo and sometimes a stress test, PVCs are not dangerous but often cause people concern.

Some people comment about increased PVCs after meals.  There is not a lot written or studied about this.  It may have to do with the vagus nerve, but there is no definitive evidence of that.

This was written by a Doctor so what do you have to say about that???

I have noticed that many of your replies are pretty rude and nasty. People who come to these boards are looking for others to help calm their fears or just simply be supportive...They're definitely not coming here to read your sarcastic, unfeeling remarks. If all you have to offer are snide, juvenille lingo ie. ROFL, OMG, LOL to those who do not find what they're going through at all funny! why do you bother? Do you have nothing more to do with your time? And according to one of your past posts...refer to yourself as an RN! Were you asleep the day they talked about bedside manner?

In response to the above statement made by the Dr:

"Some people comment about increased PVCs after meals.  There is not a lot written or studied about this.  It may have to do with the vagus nerve, but there is no definitive evidence of that. "

Well, we could argue the same thing since there is no evidence to say that it doesn't. So, for future reference it might be best if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing. Didn't your mother teach you that one?

Why come on here and comment on things that are not the truth.  If you would like me to sugar coat everything, then what is the point of this post.  Sometimes you have to be honest with yourself and not try to deny everything.  If im rude I only mean to help.
Sorry if I was rude to you.  I should not post on here when I have had a bad day.  Furthermore, acid reflux is is not fun as my uncle got throat cancer from it.  I am sorry to hear about your condtion, and I hope it improves.  I wish we all knew the real reasons behind PVC's and find a cure for them.  I believe that your reflux does affect your pvc's because triggers are different for everyone.  Once again I apologize for being to blunt earlier as I did not mean to **** you off

GoOd ByE
I, too, get those nasty PVC's after I eat, I especially notice them when I feel bloated, or when my tummy just feels out of sorts. Acid Reflex makes them act up too as does my hiatal hernia. The stomach and heart are so close and there are so many nerves associated with them, I am not surprised that one thing is not related to the other.

It seems to me, I do remember one doctor here that did say that the PVC's can be related to stomach problems, etc. I can not remember which one though.

Anyway, they are no fun, and for me, I am even afraid at times to have a drink of water as that can start them. Dang, I hate them.
Thanks outtarhythm :)

JONDSAM:

I can tell you that i have NEVER felt any pvcs when i have no acid reflux or stomach gas. I have years with none because i treat the acid and indigestion with meds and diet but recently i had a stressful time in my life and stopped taking my acid meds and stopped eating and my pvcs are back now but i know that when i take control again the pvcs will hopefully dissappear again.
I spent a lot of money and time visiting EPs and cardiologists in England and eventually i was told that in MY case my trigger definitely was acid etc. Its true there are many other triggers too but for ME it is all stomach related.
Just recently i went through a VERY stressful time and i had NO pvcs until the effect of stress took a toll on my digestive system and i started getting severe acid reflux and stomach gas.

I have no reason to LIE! In fact there are many people that think that acid/gas triggers their pvcs too why would we lie? How does that even make sense??
If your trigger for pvcs is not acid/gas related then thats YOU not me your circumstances/symptoms must be different, find your own triggers thats fine but please do not say i am  posting things that are not true because they are for me hence why the pvcs that i used to have 24/7 now dissappear for years thank God.
my pacs act up completely when i'm bloated...but i relate all this to hormones making my upper stomach and gall-bladder being sluggish...then i go into a spiral of svt...i have completely changed my diet...and lost a lot of weight also from this....i also stick to a bland diet...spicy food, greasy food, alcohol - which i haven't had in over 2 years would make my heart act up...even i found...
wearing tight clothing around my stomach...also sends my heart into svt....it really ***** cause i hate svt...it's really scary...it feels like my upper heart is going way too fast and my lower heart is trying to keep up...
but pvcs, pacs and svt is definitely linked to your stomach....
Your are right! Everyone has different symptoms and triggers, and the stomach for me is one as well, Eat a large meal or something greasy and heavy and my heart will skip for hours, but very small meals with chicken and fish make my heart and my body feel so much better and helps my mind think Iam doing the right thing for it so my overall health feels better. Everyone needs to find out what works for them bc PVC's are not going away but we dont have to let them rule our lives, bc if you let them, they will, I know, they did for years.
nikgirl
I find that hormones cause my stomach problems too. Around ovulation my tummy gets very bloated and thats when i get a lot of acid and gas which can trigger the pvcs and sometimes the svt!
only just read this but find it interesting. When i ended up in hospital with a suspected heart attack all those years ago they kept me in for a week and ran loads of tests but found nothing wrong.
when i was discharged and asking 'what happened' one doctor told me that in his opinion my incident was caused by alcohol irritating my stomach which affected the vagus nerve and mimicked the symptoms , for me, of an heart attack.
Since then i have proved many times that alcohol does do this to me and when i have an upset stomach I will also have PVC's. Too much alcohol will also cause me to have a prolonged SVT incident.
So i do not have any medical knowledge but i have spent years watching my bodies reactions and know that for me there is a 100% connection.
dave
Hmm, interesting. I wonder if this is what's going on with me? I noticed my PVC's are back and had wondered why. The interesting thing is they first came on, or when I first noticed them, about a year and a half ago. A few months later I was doubled over in pain and went to the ER. Came to discover I had a blockage in my small intestine. I had the surgery and the PVC's seemed to disappear. I haven't had the PVC's now for a year but all of a sudden, the last few weeks, I'm getting them constantly again. I'm wondering why? I'm wondering if this could have anything to do with my digestive issues. I was diagnosed with Crohns after they biopsied the mass they removed. Interesting thought.
I know stress, lack of sleep and caffeine can make them worse but I didn't think anything changed that significantly lately.
I wonder if I should see the doctor again or not? I'm wondering if I could have a flare up again. Hmm.
Just had a bad episode last night after eating the wrong foods and a slightly stressful work day.

Doctors do not have all the answers.  In fact, rather than speculate a connection, they will tell you (if they have not learned it) there is no connection.  Also, it seems that there is a problem with specialists talking to each other as the cardiologist does not understand the specialty of gastroenterology.  In fact, once I was admitted to the hospital for severe abdominal pain.  I had two things going on in my lower stomach, one involved the large intestine the other my uterus (as I had been bleeding for 8 weeks).  I had to laugh when the gastroenterologist visited me at bed-side and suggested I return as an outpatient for a gastroscopy.  She suspected bleeding in my stomach just because I was severely anemic.  At that point I became angry and bluntly asked her if she had confirmed with my gyne that I had been bleeding for 8 weeks.  She said NO and sheepishly left the room.  End of story, I was diagnosed with a uterine polp and large fibroid.  A DNC and later a hysterectomy corrected for this.
Case in point:  The medical profession is so specialized they are incapable of finding the source of the problem beyond their field of knowledge.  Ego plays a big factor as well as they will not admit "they do not have an answer". They will stick with what they learned in medical school rather than risk a speculation that could lead to malpractice.

If doctors new everything, they would not have prescribed drugs like Viox and others, procedures to cure mental illness ....like labotomy's only to find out later that these things were in fact harmful to the human body.

There are very few good diagnosticians today.  Most doctors get paid for reading lab reports and are too busy to connect the dots.  Few are willing to "think outside of the box."  

It is good to have this forum.  True sufferers of PVC's understand the triggers of stress and food.  It seems to make sense to me if the hiatal sphincter is protruding through the diaphram into the chest cavity, the pressure of over-eating or eating spicy foods that irritate the stomach lining will cause more vagal nerve activity.  The word vagal translation is "wandering" as in wandering nerve.  It is the largest nerve with branches throughout the body that regulates all the autonomic processes like breathing, heartrate, digestion and so on.  Ever scratch a dogs neck and have his back leg start a thumpin?  Dogs and human nervous systems are interconnected in ways that science does not thoroughly understand.  Perhaps this is why acu-puncture works for many.

There are a few great doctors out there who are capable of "thinking outside of the box" and making the connections by the treating the body as a whole.  Thank God for them.

It is hard for me to understand why someone hasn't come up with a combo pill that would address this issue by reducing stomach acid and a little somethin to address the vagal response at the same time.  It has the potential to be a nice money-maker as there are many that have been reporting this and also far more suffers that are unreported.  

Marya Taylor    
Great post Marya, I agree totally. I just ate a rather big meal, and I think my hiatal hernia would like to play a game of "jump" with my heart, I am trying to stay relaxed though and not get too upset.

I have not found one doctor that will really come right out and say my PAC's are related to tummy problems, it infuriates me, the only one that comes close is my chiropractor. Just the same, I keep telling the docs it IS related and they keep looking at me and saying they don't really know. UGH, grrrrrrrr.
I also have skipped or extra beats only when my stomach or chest is burning.It is somewhat of a relief to know I'm not the only one.i never experience this until the burning starts and can predict it right before it happens.Its such a disappointment that no one can figure this out or at least I haven't read anything that can explain it.Its frustrating and scary and I try to keep myself calm so I don't panic.If anyone has any new information please share it.Thank you
I started having PVCs in 1999.  My first thought was that they were related to an endoscopy with dilatation that I had after getting food caught in the lower part of my esophagus.  After a 2 years, all the heart tests, my doctor, prescribed 37.5 mg/day Effexor.  Once I started taking Effexor they disappeared.  I also take Liptor (liptor), Diovan, and Prevacid.  I do have GERD.  In 2010 I stopped the Effexor and 5 months later the PVCs started up again.  I would like to get off all the meds but the Effexor worked and I am considering going back on it.  The stress seems to be the culprit however, when I feel stressed, really stressed I don't seem to get PVCs.  The arise at times of no stress.  Alcohol does cause episodes but I drank while taking Effexor and had no episodes.  I am off all caffeine, no garlic, onion, tomato, or spices.  Effexor is not for everybody and can have side fx.  I think even a lower does would work but 37.5 is the smallest they come.