Heart Rhythm Community
PVCs in a young male (Please help)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

PVCs in a young male (Please help)

alright so i am a 20 year old, healthy male with no history of any heart complications nor family history. about 4 months ago i experienced my first night of PVCs after taking an energy supplement at about 9pm. I felt a lot of fluttering heartbeats and stayed awakae for hours, trying to figure out what was wrong. the next day when i woke up I felt pretty strange, and later that day i had a panic attack (first ever). I went to the ER and they did an EKG and blood test, all coming back normal. they gave me a holter monitor and then i saw a cardiologist and he did an ultrasound. Everything came back normal, and I had about 15 PVCs recorded. over the next couple months I started feeling better and better in terms of my heart, but had pretty bad anxiety. I was just recently diagnosed with general anxiety disorder

so about a week ago i came down with a cold or some sort of respiratory illness, and the PVCs would come back at night at a pretty frequent rate. i would get bigeminy and trigeminy pvc sequences as i tried to fall back asleep. I got better from the illness, but for some reason i started getting frequent pvcs starting yesterday at like 6pm. Since this time I have probably had about 2000 pvcs. The only symptoms i have is that i get localized chest pain that lasts for no more than 5-30 seconds, which i have reasoned is anxiety related and not cardiac related. My left arm has been hurting around the forearm wrist area for the past week, and started after an arm workout at the gym, so i figured its from that.

Basically, why am I all of the sudden getting so many PVCs after months of seemingly no PVCs at all? Are PVCs dangerous if your heart has already been seen by a doctor and said to be structurally normal w/out heart disease?

Your story is very common. It starts with stress, palpitations and/or a panic attack, we suddenly realize that we have a beating heart which throughout the day is able to do a lot of weird stuff. We notice more skipped beats, get more anxious, and here we go.. :)

You've asked the following question:
Are PVCs dangerous if your heart has already been seen by a doctor and said to be structurally normal w/out heart disease?

You know the answer to that question. You've read that "PVCs are not dangerous in a structurally normal heart". If you had not, you would not have used the word "structurally normal". Am I right?

My question is; is there anything I can say to make you more certain about that? Do you think that we, random forum users, can make you believe something your cardiologist has told you and which you obviously doubt?

Some days we have less PVCs/PACs, some days we have more. They feel horrible, I know, but they are not dangerous. We can go for months without feeling a single skipped beat, and for no obvious reason we can have 5k a day. My advice is, try to forget that you have a heart. Think of it as just another organ, sort of like your kidneys. If you felt a little pinch in the side of your body, you wouldn't pay attention to it.

If you ever faint or experience serious symptoms with an irregular heart rhythm, visit the emergency room. Otherwise, as long as you're living fairly healthy, you can forget your heart.

You've asked the following question:

I didn't notice (or over read) more mention of "high energy drink".. hope you consider that a possible trigger.. also what cold medications did you take, you may have found some trigger for PVC there.  Along this line it could be a good idea to avoid caffeine in all its forms, especially the "souped-up" drinks (and pills?).