Heart Rhythm Community
PVC;s

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

PVC;s

Hello, im 19 years old and suffer from PVC's .in the past there were a few here and there and now they are more frequent with oncoming stress up to 40-50 a day. does stress bring them on ? and are there any tips to help cope with them or relieve them ?
My understanding of it, is that if you have a normally functioning heart (or normal with mild MVP), stress is usually the main contributor to an increase in PVC's. But having lived with them myself for nearly 30 years, I can tell you they seem to have a mind of their own, and can start up and be very "streaky", and then suddenly stop for a long period of time (days, weeks) and then start up again. I'm currently in a "bad" streak, having probably 100 pvc's an hour for the last 4-5 days or so and I'm really going nuts about it. I have a doctor appointment on friday but not sure I should wait that long.

Anyway sorry to hijack your thread, but yes, stress sometimes triggers them. Doctors usually prescribe anti-anxiety or anti-depressants to help, and also beta-blockers to help reduce the "feeling" of them.

Have you seen your Doctor recently and discussed your concerns with him/her? It never hurts to do so, especially if your symptoms have recently changed.

When you speak of 40-50 a day, do you mean single PVCs or do they come in a series? Do you experience any lightheadedness with them, dizziness, pain, etc.?

For someone with a normal heart, 40-50 a day would be of no concern. Many, if not most, people experience PVCs but not everyone is aware of it. My wife works for the Cardiologist that I see, and she says that they get patients with so many PVCs that she can't even get their pulse. As I have explained before, she doesn't tell them about it, but she informs the Doctor.  After the Doctor confirms that the patient is otherwise normal (listening to the heart, looking at the results of the EKG, asking about symptoms, and seeing what the patient's medical history is), the Doctor will casually take the patient's pulse. The Doctor then asks the patient if they have any palpitations. If they reply that they don't, and everything else is fine, the Doctor may not even make the patient aware of the arrhythmia for fear of the patient obsessing about it. (Often these people were referred from their family Doctor due to the arrhythmia.)

Stress, insufficient sleep, caffeine (coffee, tea, soft drinks, chocolate, etc.), some diet supplements, etc. can cause a person to experience more PVCs.

Some people will suffer bouts of Bigeminy or Trigeminy, they have a PVC every second or third heart beat. If their heart is otherwise normal, this can go on for hours or more without being of serious concern unless they become faint or dizzy. That means, with Bigeminy, that they may experience more than 20 PVCs per minute, for hours at a time. Some people have worn Holter Monitors and been recorded with in excess of 10,000 PVCs per day. This may still be of no concern, depending on the patient and symptoms (assuming an otherwise normal heart).

PVCs are quite normal for most people to experience. I know you hate the feeling, most of the people on this forum are not pleased with knowing that they have an arrhythmia, but fear and adrenaline tend to make people experience more PVCs.

See your Doctor if you have concerns (and it sounds like you do) to help reassure yourself that all is well.

Wish you a smooth rhythm.
Hi again,

In the list of items that I mentioned that may cause PVCs (or make them worse) in responding to your post, as well as the posts of others, I seem to have forgotten to mention Cold Medications as a possible source of PVCs in sensitive individuals. (As I sit here with my runny nose and the realization that I can't even look at a decongestant or antihistamine for fear of making my PVCs worse). The same would hold true for diet medications. Any medication that speeds your heart up certainly has this potential. (such as cocaine, a drug that has the potential to cause serious or life threatening arrhythmias).

Best of health.
I see my doctor is a week so i will talk to him about it. but they alternate, sometimes it will be like every 3-4 beats and others is will be like every 20 beats they alternate back and forth. But thanks for your help!