Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
Pacemaker & Polar HR Monitor

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Pacemaker & Polar HR Monitor

Hello Doctor.  On occasion, since having PM implanted 4 months ago, I have experienced increased awareness of heartbeat during the night(sensation of forceful beating is best way to describe this) the rhythm is regular, about 80 bpm (taken with stethoscope AND at radial/carotid pulse points).  This can last all night, disrupting sleep.  For the heck of it, I strapped on my Polar HR monitor last night and to my surprise it was registering anywhere from 190-220 BPM.  I HAVE to think there is some interference since I have a PM, do you agree or is this something I should take to my Dr.? Could this be A-fib or V-tach?? Again my findings were as above w steth & radial. Additionally, since PM, I have been interrogated  on several occ and no mention of either A-fib or V-tach.  I have had normal Echo, normal Persantine Stress, Holter, etc. only mention that I have "some" VPC/PAC and that most of my complaints were r/t feeling the pacing. I do have RBBB, 2nd Degree AV Block, IST.
What are your thoughts regarding the rate registered on the HR Monitor?  Thankyou.   Carol
If you didn't feel your heart rate racing and you are senstive to your heart beats, I'll bet it was artifact on your monitor.  your next pacer interrogation will probably know if you had rates that high.

if your device is set to 80 beats per minute, then you are probably sensitive to paced beats.  You can always ask your doctor to either:
1. turn on a night mode if your device has it -- it allows slower rates at night
2. increase the AV delay to decrease the amount of RV pacing
3. simply turn the lower rate down on the pacemaker to give your own heart a chance to beat on it's own.  there are many things that can be done to decrease RV pacing.  Your pacer doctor should be able to make these modifications.

your pacemaker will detect atrial fib and VT -- device check will answer your question.  polaris monitors are great for exercise -- I use one and love it.  there are times when mine has artificially high rates in the 200's and find that if I take the battery out and then put it back in, that fixes the problem for me.

I hope this helps.
Wow!  Got night mode.  My "morning express train" must be the pacemaker in booting.  Get ready for the day!

I tell you, my cardio said set to pace the Atrial and sense the Ventricle.  That way is better.  As Dr McWilliams said, avoid to pace the RV.  I did a holter to see what is that morning express train: - A heart symptom or gastro playing up?  Surprisingly, found on the holter report.  It said, "pacing the Atrial and pacing the Ventricle"!   What a nightmare!  Mine one set to 65.