Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
Pacemaker, coughing and vomiting?

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Pacemaker, coughing and vomiting?

Husband (55) has had a pacemaker for 2 years for VERY slow heartbeat.  Prior to having the implant, he would begin to cough and then (only sometimes) would vomit.  This has continued after the pacemaker, and none of the doctors seem to know why.  He's had his entire digestive tract explored, and no reason can be found.
We don't even know who to talk to at this point.
The cough is non-productive and almost sound "whooping"-like.
He did have severe Samonella at least 25 years ago.  Don't know if that could cause this.
Help, please!
If this happened prior to the pacemaker implant, you can rule out the pacemaker as being related.  I can only speculate that he might have a very intense gag reflex.  Coughing can sometimes induce vomiting, especially if it is very intense coughing.  It is possible that your husband is just more sensitive to this than most people.  Have your doctors tried to suppress the cough (I am sure they have).  I do not think this is a cardiac cause from what you describe.

I hope this helps.  Good luck.