Paroxysmal Afib,Flecainide,EJ25%
Jerry_NJ,Mommy2TNL,JoKelly, Just a thanks for your feedback.  Sometimes the best resources are the people who have been through it.

Well,it's a good thing my mother didn't start the flecainide. The MD gave her the Rx before he sent her for the echo, he was using the results from the other MD 3 yrs ago(EF=50%).  Her present ECHO came back with an ejection fraction of 25%, some left vent. enlargement, but not ominous.  It does not exactly make sense because she only has mild mitral calcification with mild regurg of two valves, mitral and ? can't remember.

He wants new ECHO in May,follow up in June.  He said her ecg show alot of PVC's but from a benign part of her heart, so that if need be(bothersome) he could ablate them.  I hope you all stay connected with this forum because , I may be headed down this heart arrhythmia path also,..  Thanks again.

The EF is rather low, didn't the doctor comment on that result?  Is any action being taken?  How is the blood pressure, that is another issue that can cause heart enlargement.  The mild regurgitation is very common, especially among us seniors.    PVC activity is also very common and I understand is usually benign, but can cause discomfort.
    He did say that high blood pressure would cause that but her's is normal, acceptable(only takes 2.5mg lisinopril).  She has no swelling in her legs and doesn't look like she should have a 25 % EF.( I was suprised that he hadn't read the ECHO himself, it appears, and didn't call the patient after he received the results.) He questioned her about having the flu in the past 3 yrs, maybe thinking rheumatic fever?  (She didn't)

He said to call the office if she become symptomatic.  He did mention a stress test, then dismissed it, because of her sore, arthritic knees.  I could have been more assertive and said she could walk well enough to do the test.

He might have felt like he goofed writing the RX, but I was in no way a told you so person. However, I do understand cardiology and basic ecg.  So I am not a typical layman. My mother told him my son has his doctorate in pharmacy(hospital pharmacist),but I didn't involve my son.

Anyway the ECHO 3 yrs ago was 50%. I really don't know what to make of it.  Glad to know you Jerry.