Heart Rhythm Community
Paroxysmal atrial fibrillation, dyspnea

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Paroxysmal atrial fibrillation, dyspnea

I'll make this quick and condense it in a nutshell. Just to let you know, I'm a 23 year old male and I am a bit of a fat a$$ lol, I weigh around 250.

Basically I've been experiencing rapid heart rates every so often. Thankfully if I keep myself cool my rapid heart rates are short lived and generally don't last longer than 3 minutes. I often find that lying down help shoot my heart rate down, but it does make me cough. I've had EKG's, chest xray's, blood work, echo's and thankfully everything was normal, with the exception of my holter monitor. My cardiologist seems to think that maybe my rapid heart rates aren't subjective from anxiety(I've also been diagnosed with panic disorder), but actually occurring. My Cardiologist gave me this paper and it says "paroxysmal artial fibrillation and dyspnea." He also said I should take some aspiring and perscribed me some "DILTIAZEM", which I still haven't took, because I read the side effects lol.

So my question is, is paroxysmal Atrial Fibrillation and dyspnea dangerous? I also noticed that when I'm standing up or walking my heart rate is usually 92-100bpm, I actually bought that device that you wear on your finger that monitors heart rate. When I'm lying though my heart rate jumps all the way down to 66-70. I have no idea what that means.

Also my Cardiologist thinks that I might have sleep apnea and I'm scheduled to get tested. Just one last thing to add, I'm always anxious too, I always get these weird joly feelings and I feel like my heart is going to flip out on me. Sometimes it does but most of the times it doesn't and I'm just anxious and panicy as hell.

can anyone relate?

This discussion is related to abnormal ECG.
I can relate.
I have permanent AFib.
I weigh at least 250 pounds (but I am 6'6")
My walking around HR is about 100.

So, I fight the high HR all the time and take a beta and calcium channel blocker every day.  My Cardiologist considers my condition acceptably controlled, that is my resting HR is under 90.

I also take an aspirin and use a anticoagulant called Warfarin.

Given you are not in AFib most of the time a simple aspirin may be all you need to guard against (not prevent) blood clot formation.  Seems your Cardiologist thinks so.  If he thought you were in danger from you AFib he would have prescribed a more aggressive medical treatment.  

From what you posted, getting your weight closer to recommended levels and getting you anxiety under control will likely help reduce you AFib.
Thanks for your post I appreciate it.

So what exactly is permanent afib? If you don't take your medication your heart will go out of control? What exactly do you feel when you feel an episode of Afib coming on?

I feel like my heart is always just ready to race! I always feel so much apprehension. My heart will race occasionally, but like i mentioned their short lived and aren't very fast. I always feel like it's going to come on, like it's lurking in the background, is this normal with afib people?
of course I'm going to ask my cardiologist these questions, but I'm just waiting on my appointment.
I have had episodes of Afib and it's scary.  It is normal to be afraid it's going to happen again but the trick is not to let it control your life.  Once you "lose trust" in your hearts ability to beat in a normal manner it's hard to get it back.  That might sound a little weird but it's the best way I can put it. Worrying about it and looking for it around every corner though is not a good thing. The danger of Afib is that it can allow blood clots to form.  That is why he prescribed the aspirin.  Everybody's heart rate is higher when they are up walking around.  Anything under 100 is considered normal.  Yours may be raised somewhat by your anxiety.  The medication he prescribed you will slow your heart rate down and reduce chances of it taking off and racing on you.  You need to follow your doctors advice, take the medication he prescribed and try to reduce your anxiety about it.  Anxiety will make it worse.
Permanent atrial fibrillation means my left atrium is in fibrillation all the time.  However, most of us don't feel the atrium beats or fibrillation, what we feel is the atrium pulse signals that get through the sinus node and cause a ventricle pump. The left and right ventricles are the power pumps that move blood though our bodies.  When we hear of feel a heart beat it is the ventricle contractions.  

For me I have a untreated ventricle rate of about 130.  That is too high but not particularly dangerous.  I take the beta and calcium channel blockers to block some of the signals to my ventricles and thus that beat slows to 90 or lower at rest.  This is acceptable, 60 would be better but I don't get down that low any longer.  

In some people the ventricle rate goes much higher, maybe 150 or even higher.  In those cases the AFib is very troubling and can be dangerous.  We must not have the ventricle rate go so high that it can't pump blood, we can get by with the atrium not pumping but the ventricle pumping is necessary to stay alive.

Said another way, some of us can live with AFib if we take medication to mitigate clot formation (one hazard of AFib) and get sufficiently lowering of the ventricle rate to be in what is considered the normal range: 60-90 at rest.  Maybe 60-99.  

Thus, I am able to function while my heart is in AFib.  I no longer run, I had to give that up about 3 years ago, and that's one of the contributors to my weight.  My weight had been closer to 230 when I was able to run to burn off calories.  Now I have to eat fewer calories, and am not do as well as I should on that count.  My doctor has not associate my weight with my AFib I will add.  I just know I'd feel better and many of my older cloths would fit better.