Heart Rhythm Community
Passing out when LAUGHING ??

Join others experiencing Heart Rhythm issues. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

Passing out when LAUGHING ??

Husband has episodes where if he gets really tickled and laughs, he'll pass out.  Says the Dr. says it a "Vagal Nerve Syndrome".  I've also read where if a Dr. can not find the root cause for something, they tie it back to the VN.  I never saw one of his "episodes" till recently and that's exactly what happened. Get got tickled and passed out.  Fell right out of his chair in a restaurant....but almost as soon as he hit the floor..he seemed to become conscious but looked a bit groggy or lost for a moment...at least while on the floor....Other than that he was OK.

Is this a VN thing or could it be something else?
My friend has a daughter that passes out from laughing and they tell her the same thing.  It is a vagal nerve response.  This has been going on for over 16 years and she is otherwise perfectly healthy.  I wouldn't worry too much
Frenchie
I don't know anyone with it, but of the reading I've done on the vagus nerve and what it can do, passing out due to laughter or stress or anger - those are all on the menu.  I'm no doctor, but the ones that are seem to agree that the only harm comes from any injury that may occur because of a fall.
My husband has passed out twice now from laughing too hard. The one time, he was already lying on the floor on his back. He said he knew it was coming, but could not stop it. Then when he woke up, he was really disoriented for a few seconds. He was pretty tired after this last episode and went to bed, but I kept an eye on him. It is horrible worrying about him passing out from laughing. I am always watching him and it makes him really uncomfortable. Should we be really concerned? It is nice to know that there are others going through this, but I feel bad for their families too. Short of him trying not to laugh too hard, is there anything else we can do? Someone please help!
Good heavens, woman!  Your husband should be checked out for narcolepsy:

http://www.emaxhealth.com/1275/narcolepsy-no-laughing-matter-woman-cataplexy