Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
Pectus Excavatum (funnel chest) help

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Pectus Excavatum (funnel chest) help
I need to know how severe my pectus excavatum (funnel chest) is!

http://imageupload.com/~imageupl/show.php/54042_P00033.JPG.html

This is when im standing straight up...

Thanks!

Sorry if i posted in the wrong forum but I had no idea where this was under...
I don't know much about this.  I found this article on emedicine and it suggests that the long term follow up is not well established.  Sorry I can't be of more help.

http://www.emedicine.com/ped/topic2558.htm
Both my sons and I have pectus excavatum, I used to have it/moderately to severely as a teenager and young man, after about 25 for some reason it got much better, both my sons have one 21 and the other 18 very similar to mine at their age though i thing the older could be more severe.In some persons it causes symptoms related to breathing and slight heart displacement and poor exercise tolerance though the extent has not been established. It was suggested by an Ep back when I was 22 that it cause for my heart awareness and palpitation, yet both my sons are not heart aware so it depends on the individual, the good news it has not shown to increase mortality or decrease lifespan, in fact some with the condition are exceelnt athletes without consequences , I have did extensive research on this and my personal opinion it is probably best left alone if it cannot be tied or related to severe breathing or cardiac symptoms, some complications have been reported with very adverse effects on surgery to correct the condition, some appear to be successful, I still personally question its overall benefits if the condition is not shown in any to affect mortality or lifespan.
I am currently researching help for my daughter who has a severe case.  She is currently 13.  We visited Dr. Shew (who was trained by Dr. Foukelsrood) to correct it.  He actually does both surgeries but only on children.  My daughter is symptomatic having trouble taking deep breaths and trouble exercising.  From your photo angle, it is hard to determine how severe it is or how old you are.  Basic rule of thumb though is if it is not causing a problem, don't fix it.  However if it is, there are two basic surgeries to fix the problem.  The Nuss and Ravitch procedures.  The Nuss is usually ideal for 10-18y.o.  Every case is different, best to get an opinion or two.