Persistent Tachycardia
Since I began nursing school in 2007 I have began to be aware of my pulse, and the fact that it is usually very fast. My resting heart rate since this time, at any given point in the day, is between 100-130. If I walk--not run--up or down a singe flight of stairs that will increase to 140-160. Persistent cardiovascular activity for more than one minute elevates it to 180-200. Continued exertion past five minutes raises it past 200. The fastest I have actually felt it myself--not using electronic devices--it was 230. The faster that it is, the weaker the peripheral (arms and legs) pulse. Several medications will raise my resting heart rate into the 150 range. These medications are not usually known for tachycardia. When my heart rate hits about 140 or higher I begin to wheeze and have fast respiration.

This will sound ridiculous, but one day ago I danced for one minute and forty five seconds (approximately) to a song to entertain my mother, who was feeling unwell. At the end of that period I was really struggling for breath and my heart rate was 170. Five minutes later my heart rate was still 140-145. Ten minutes later it was still in the 130 range.

I have had several EKG's, all of which have been normal except for the tachycardia. Most doctors refuse to listen to me, even when they themselves have personnel who report tachycardia, so I have not had a holter monitor or a stress test. I realize that these are the important steps in determining the cause and possible treatment. I have asked my network of health care providers about this issue and I haven't got any particularly exact responses.

I would love to know if anyone else has experience this and been diagnosed, or if anyone has any ideas about this. For all I know, this has been a problem much longer than six years, but I never took my pulse regularly before then. Any and all responses are very welcome.
Hi.  As we all know,  max heart rate is about 220 - age, so 230 does not sound like a sinus rhythm. 200 sounds high even for your age,  but at least it sounds like a rate that could be reached during normal sinus rhythm.

Im surprised to hear you say you struck out on getting an event recorder.   This is usually a no brainer;  you just go in and ask for one and they give it to you.

Also, did you say you have one recorded ekg where they captured the tachycardia? If so,  I think someone is not doing their job if they haven't discussed this with you.

One other thought.  If you decide to see a doctor,   while you are there, consider talking to them about exercise and dieting.   Ive found these two activities to go a long way to help reducing heart rate and promoting a feeling of well being.

Well anyway,  im sorry to hear about this.  Keep in mind that there may be a w a way to explain some or all of this. You ll definitely want an md to help.

If you have not gone to a cardiologist you should. They will be more interested in your heart condition than a general doctor. My tachycardia is intermittent but I have always gone to the ER and been converted to normal rhythm when it does occur.