Heart Rhythm Community
Poss. heart issues or Panic attacks?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Poss. heart issues or Panic attacks?

Hello all i have a few questions .One is if you were born with a heart problem but it fixed itself afterwards , will you still be prone to heart problems later in life ? Two. is if your father has heart disease and CHF before the age of 50 does the child that was born with a heart problem but fixed itself  needs to worry ?

When i was born i had PDA but it fixed itself soon after. i wsa premature and had to stay in the hospt for 3 months . Now i am a 34 yr old and have been experancing chest pains and heart flutters and pulse beating heavy . I do esperance panic attacks but i only had a few . i had some 3 yrs ago and now i had another one the other day. I had this sharp stabbing pain that got worse as the seconds passed , i was driving down the road and had to pull over cause i felt weird. and after pulling over the pain got worse so i went into a panic attack where i was hyperventalting . i felt my left shoulder have dull acheyness . and then it got heavy to were i clentched it to my side and didnt move it . after i calmed down i still felt like something went on inside my body. im not saying omg i had a heart attack but im not saying i didnt either being that i was born with a heart problem even though it fixed itself . and that my father has heart disease and chf  and diag. between the age of 45-48 with it . i guess im asking is since my father has heart issues and i did when i was born do i need to get  checked or be concerned ? I also have GERD and i am taking Prilosec 20mg . Thank you all for your advice and input its greatly appreciated !
I also had heart murmurs after i was born ,And  a few other things going on as a newborn !
I have panic attacks, and this sounds a lot like my experiences with them.  

You are  young, and that's in your favor heart-wise, but since your father developed heart disease at a young age, and you were born with a problem, I think you should see a cardiologist to have a baseline checkup now.  With your family history, it would simply be wise.
I would recommend a complete work up by cardiologist.  With a family history you should get a baseline.  If your problem resolved itself it could be something completely different.   I would not just assume something was a panic attack until you are cleared by a cardiologist.
Well i just found out my dad and my grand mother (mother side) have/ had  enlarge heart and CHF , now also my brother has an enlarge heart with CHF . So im assuming at some point i may develope it also ? i think my changes of getting it just increased big time right?
P.S grandmother has past on , she died at 66 she went into cardiac arrest
Is there any question in your mind about what your next step should be?
This may come a a big shock to you but you were NOT born with a heart problem. ALL babies are born with PDA; it is a small hole that is found in all newborn and is a left over byproduct from when the baby was in utero. The hole allows the blood to be transferred between the mother and unborn baby. This holes closes up without intervention shortly after the baby is born. This is totally NORMAL. This is not any form of congenital heart disease. Now, having said that, some forms of cardiomyopathy can be genetic in nature so you may be predisposed to having CHF..... IF.... this is a genetic form of the disease.
Yarrow , i dunno , but ill get a baseline checkup. just to make sure everything is ok. i finally got the whole story on my brother, he went in the hospt with a panic attack and they ran all kinds of tests on him and found that he has an enlarge heart . Dunno what is causing it. But he is suspose to be stress free .

Grendslori, why would it come a big shock to me ? i dont know much on PDA  but what ive read on internet .Like this one .... Patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) is a heart problem that occurs soon after birth in some babies. In PDA, abnormal blood flow occurs between two of the major arteries connected to the heart.

Before birth, the two major arteries—the aorta and the pulmonary (PULL-mun-ary) artery—are connected by a blood vessel called the ductus arteriosus. This vessel is an essential part of fetal blood circulation.

Within minutes or up to a few days after birth, the vessel is supposed to close as part of the normal changes occurring in the baby's circulation.

In some babies, however, the ductus arteriosus remains open (patent). This opening allows oxygen-rich blood from the aorta to mix with oxygen-poor blood from the pulmonary artery. This can put strain on the heart and increase blood pressure in the lung arteries.

Anyways after i was born i had it and also had heart murmurs, lung problems , was on vent. but thats all because i was 3 months early . stayed in hospt. for 3 months then got out to only go right back in around x-mas cause i stopped breathing. and kept me for another week . anyways all i was wondering is am i at major risk here for developing some heart problem ? because of my family memebers having it ?
A PDA is a type of congenital heart defect. A congenital heart defect is any type of heart problem that’s present at birth.

If your baby has a PDA but an otherwise normal heart, the PDA may shrink and go away. Some children need treatment to close their PDAs.

If your baby is born with another heart defect (in addition to PDA) that decreases blood flow from the heart to the lungs or that decreases the flow of oxygen-rich blood to the body, medicine may be given to keep the ductus arteriosus open.

This helps maintain blood flow and oxygen levels until doctors can do corrective surgery for the heart defect.