Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
Post ablation
About This Forum:

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Post ablation

Had two bouts of Sudden a-fib back in July, three days apart, cardioverted both times, after the second episode I was sent for an ablation with Dr. David Cannom in L.A. They did the ablation and found one focus on the right Superior pulmonary vein. He said he burned it and it went right into rythym. Post ablation I developed pericarditis and pleurises and it was a rough recovery for about a month. Now its been five months after the ablation no episodes of afib but now they want to take me off the betapace AF 160mg and see if the ablation was successful.  I did take 200mg of Toprol before for hypertension. Was on it for about 6Years, BP was controlled very well, however I run with a big cathecolamine rush most of the time and they attributed the afib to the adrenaline and the high quantities of coffee consumption, plus stress. I forgot to mention that I am 38 years old, multiple echoes, halter, stress echoes, structurally normal heart with the occasional PVC's.  Is it normal to for them to take me off the betapace and see if the a-fib comes back or would it be better to stay on the betapace AF since I have to take something for Hypertension anyway. Are there major side effects to the Betapace other than feeling the drag and weirdness every so often. Also if the a-fib was still around would it have broken thru despite the presence of the medication. Or is there no way to know until you come off of it and see what happens. A little bit apprehensive since cardioversion and another ablation aren't exactly fun. Thanks. Vman1