Heart Rhythm Community
Post cardiac Ablation recovery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Post cardiac Ablation recovery

I was treated for tachycardia on 8 April 2010. Rf energy was applied with a total of 6 lesions delivered. 3 other morphologies of PAC's were seen, but these occured only intermittently. I started running again a week after the procedure and had negative problems initially, however, in the meantime I have experienced PAC's which do settle down rather quickly when I stop excercising. The real question I have is:
1) how long does it take for the heart to actually recover fully from this type of procedure?
2) I started to take the meds given to me and they seem to work most of the time, but they are extrmely low in dosis and when taken in the morning they seem not to have anymore effect in the evening if I do work out.

I just would like to know what I can expect and if I staryted working out (running) too early again? Thanks

This discussion is related to Typical Recovery from Ablation.
I am due for my Ablation next Wednesday, the 5th of May. I admit I am apprehensive, as I would prefer not to be awake at all during the procedure; however I do understand that I cannot be totally out with general anesthesia. SIGH I wish...

But I expect the pain will be manageable.  I keep telling myself that, having been through an aortic valve replacement 3 yrs ago, this will be a walk in the park.  But I am still a bit scared. I feel silly for being scared, but then again, any procedure can be scarey, true?

Wish me luck and a quick recovery, please...

Kind regards and hugs to all, from England,
Debb
Hi. I had an av nodal ablation years and years ago. It was sucessful for a while but after a few years the problem returned due to the heart somehow making a new node. I'd jump at the chance to have another ablation, they did try but had to give up after 7 hours of looking for the problem area. I recovered quickly from the ablation, but since I had a resting pulse of around 160 before I had it done, I was hardly doing much but lying about - any form of exertion would speed my heart rate up to well over 200 within about 15 seconds, so I could really only improve after the ablation. I obviously ended up with a pacemaker to replace the av node, and that part of the recovery is very slow. You have to loaf about for 6 weeks so that you don't dislodge the leads, but honestly I don't recall having had any real issues after the ablation.  

Did you tell your doctor that you planned to start excercise so soon after the ablation?

I do remember a young guy who was a pro-cyclist in the bed next to mine in ICU. He had his ablation in the morning, went to the ward in the afternoon, and was discharged from hospital the very next day. We were chatting about us both being in our 20's and having such a procedure and casting a beady and fearful eyes on the old people on ventilators - hoping that would never be us. Anyway, when the doctor came into the cardiac ICU (we both had the same doctor) he told this guy that he could resume his normal life as soon as he felt well enough to do so, just to give the site time to heal and the bruising to go. The guy (sorry I have forgotten his name) said he already felt like he could get on his bike and go for a ride. The doctor told him he could if he felt like it and promptly had him removed from ICU!!!  He truly felt fantastic after the procedure.

Maybe you should give yourself a break for a week or so and by then you'll feel better.
Hi YamaBlonde
Try not worry too much, it's really not bad at all. Probably the most painful part of the entire procedure is having the local anaesthetic injected into your groin where they gain access to your femoral artery, once that is over, you will probably be fast asleep for the rest of the time. They give strong sedatives which not only make you sleep, but they also seem to erase your memory of the entire affair if you do wake up. When its over and you are properly awake you won't remember a thing.

It would be very odd if you were not nervous and scared, it's normal. No matter what procedure you have in hospital its scary, so don't feel bad about it, you would be very peculiar if you were not scared.

I wish you well with both procedure and recovery, and I hope you'll come back here to tell other people that is wasn't nearly as bad a you were expecting.

I am a 22 year old Male who was diagnosed with SVT. My first major episode landed me in the hospital with a heart rate of over 200 bpm. I had problems such as heart palpitations, chest pain (which would radiate down my left arm), and the sweats. The only thing that ever seemed to break my attacks was dipping my head into ICE COLD water. Even then it would only bring it down temporarily. If an attack occurred it usually meant I would be going to the hospital soon after.

I made an appointment with a cardiologist and after looking at my EKG's from past occurrences he recommended me to a electrophysiology specialist. The specialist suggest I do the EP study and ablation if necessary. So we set a date to do this procedure.

Today (Aug 24th, 2010), I had my EP study and ablation done. I am actually sitting in the hospital as I write this. At first I was really nervous and about the entire procedure, especially the complications that could potentially arise, however, once I was in the OR the staff was very nice and gave me fentynol and versed to take the anxiety and pain away. After receiving both doses of that I really do not remember a whole heck of a lot. My procedure lasted roughly two hours and I spent an hour in recovery. Technically, most doctors at this hospital let their patients go after they are able to eat a small meal. But, my doctor is one of those ones that like to monitor their patients over night so here I am.

As for whether the ablation worked or not as of right now I would have to say it did. I feel wonderful other than my leg being super sore from where they put the catheters in at. My chest feels a little weird but they say that is from the surgery. I have yet to experience any fluttering or irregular heart rhythm since I have been out. It has nearly been 8 hours.

As of right now I would definitely recommend this procedure for anyone suffering from SVT. If you have the right doctor and staff performing the procedure it goes very smooth. I will continue to post on here to update you all of my experiences from here on out.

If anyone has any questions feel free to contact me!

so any update since your 2nd ablation.
I had my 2nd cardiac ablation done on monday august 12th. it went for 4 1/2 hours. It was  a success. I didn't feel much pain then or now. Hardest  waking moments was laying still for 4 hours after operation. I am 6'2  210 pounds.
I had this operation because having gone AFIB in January, I had 3 previous cardioversion attempts the last being in May 9th. I was nervous since in the 1st ablation done in Oct 2008 I had woken up in surgery.  Waking up, I was in sinus rhymhn with a bpm in the 70's. My doctor had told me that I entered SR on my own which bodes well for recovery.BUT 3 days later my heart rate bpm were 140. I had Tachycardia.
Sorry somehow got posted before finish.
I don't drink alcohol, don't smoke but do drink coffee. I can't believe by having 2 cups that my heart would go into tachycardia.So i am mystified. I have a appointment with my dr. a  electrophysiologist  in about 10 days. I am clueless about the next steps. I had thought I would be okay for a few years and then could do another ablation. The last one added to the 1st, so I was thinking recovery was soon. Maybe I should do a cardioversion ? and see whats next.I am 59.Am very active. I am now taking it easy which feels so strange. Hoping someone may have a similar experience or encouraging word