Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
Pounding Heartbeat

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Pounding Heartbeat
I'm 7 weeks pregnant and recently Ive been able to actually feel my heart beat in my chest. Sometimes at night i can feel it start to race even though I'm relaxed and laying in bed. It scares me because the beating feels so hard. It doesnt happen all the time, it comes and goes.  I am overweight and I also have a social anxiety disorder, but I'm not sure if there is relation or if I'm overreacting.  My diet has changed since I found out I'm pregnant. I've been taking prenatals and eating better, well balanced foods. I'm not sure what's going on? What could it be? Why now? Should I see a doctor?
Palpitations are very common during pregnancy.  It is probably related to changes in hormones +/- anxiety about the pregnancy.  Mention it to your doctor so they are aware but this is very common.