Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
Pre-atrial beat?

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Pre-atrial beat?

In mid-Sept I periodically started feeling a flutter in my mid-chest area (above my breasts to just below my neck).  It lasts for a second, no shortness of breath,no dizziness, nothing. I've been on exercise bike that monitors pulse, when it's happened and no change in pulse.  I am on 160 mg diovan since April, so I periodically take bp reading.  I've done that when this has happened and no increase in bp, heart rate in my normal range of 65-85 (depending on what I've been doing).  I've also just taken my pulse when it happens and again, normal.  It does not keep me from doing anything, for example when I'm on bike, I continue to ride at about 14 miles per hour, heart rate in 130's.

Primary care had me wear a holtor monitor for 24 hours.  Showed nothing.  She said most likely it's a premature atrial beat, only need to follow up with a cardiologist if it would make me more comfortable.  I'd rather not if there is no need.  I read perhaps too much. From what I've read I'm pretty sure this is a likely diagnosis and that it's not a fib or something more serious.  If it was a fib, rather than a premature beat, would my heart rate increase?  I had asked about the flutter and diagnosis of premature atrial beat on this forum and advice was it's a "normal cardiac event" and best advice is to ignore them.      
If you had symptoms like the episode you describe while you were wearing your holter monitor and there is nothing to worry about on the monitor, then it is not atrial fib.  Atrial fibrillation is usually a sustained irregularly irregular rhythm.  I would agree with your primary doctor that you should see a cardiologist only if it will make you feel better.  

I hope this helps.  Thanks for posting.