Heart Rhythm Community
Pregnancy and Irregular pulse

Join others experiencing Heart Rhythm issues. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

Pregnancy and Irregular pulse

I guess I am looking for a bit of reassurance today. I am 31 weeks pregnant, and up until about 2 weeks ago, my heart felt fine, with only a handful of PVC's and PAC's each day. Two weeks ago I began having a problem at night, after laying down. My heart would get short bursts of tachycardia and then slow way down for a few beats then fast again. Over and over. My cardiologist ordered an event monitor for 30 days, and I have recorded many episodes. What he found is exactly as I described--fast beats of about 115 bpm alternating with slower beats of about 70 bpm. They feel awful because they are so jolting, going from fast to slow. My doctor says he is fairly sure I am ok, and that it could be irritable tissue from two previous ablations for IST. All I know is it seems to be getting more frequent, and my anxiety level about it keeps going up. I really feel stressed and I can't wrap my mind around the fact that something that feels so awful could be benign. Any advice?
I am soooo sorry you are going through this!  I know EXACTLY how you feel!  I am 27 weeks preg and have SVT that has been acting up badly for the last couple of weeks as well.  Everytime I stand up my heart rate shoots up.  I have had 3 or so full attacks in the last week and it is soooo scarey.  I was diagnosed with SVT 5 yrs ago and put on toprol to control it and celexa to control the anxiety I had b/c I feared having an attack everyday.  I didnt plan on having anymore children, one reason being b/c of the SVT, but this little guy insisted on coming into our lives haha I was fine to the point I weaned off of both meds and I felt great... that didnt last... from about 10 weeks to 21 weeks it did and then that was it and was taken by ambulance to ER with SVT attack.  They put me right back on toprol, but not celexa.  The last week I have felt horrible =(  BP up and heart rate rises, shotness of breathe, etc.  I go to a new cardiologist tomorrow morning so we shall see.  But lemme tell you, I am petrified of going into SVT during labor and delivery and something bad happening =(  I have been obsessing over it to no end...I know this is causing anxiety, which in then can trigger the svt, but I just can't help it.  Is IST similar to SVT?  

I have my 10 yr old's soccer tournament today and I am leaving in a few minutes, however I have a blackberry.  If you would like, respond to me at my email ***@**** ... that way I can respond back while on the go.  Look forward to hearing from you!  It would be nice to talk to someone going thru the same thing.