Heart Rhythm Community
Presyncope while exercising?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Presyncope while exercising?

Yesterday while I was exercising I experienced feelings of a pre-fainting spell. I suddenly felt very dizzy, disconnected with what was going on in the room, sudden loss of hearing which took a few minutes to fully regain, lightheadedness and felt a bit nauseous. I managed to continue my workout after a 5 minute rest (I would usually only need a minute max if I felt out of breath), but had some chest pain afterwards.

The reason why I'm feeling a bit worried is that I'm a pretty fit person and I wasn't doing anything that was new to me exercise-wise. It was, however, my first session with a personal trainer after a 4 week gap with no exercise - I also had a cold last week but felt fully recovered. I have had month-long breaks from exercise in the past and returned to high intensity classes such as spinning, insanity, etc. and while feeling out of breath, I've never experienced it as severe as this. We were only 5-10 mins into the workout too and what we were doing wasn't as intense as things I've done in the past, and I didn't feel extremely out of breath, it just came on very suddenly.

Something I have noticed while exercising though is how high my heart rate can go. I purchased a heart rate monitor last year and would monitor myself during exercise, my heart rate could reach 200 (I'm 24 this year) quite easily when in high-intensity classes, and this was when I felt very fit as I was going to the gym 5-6 times per week. I would also get chest pain sometimes.

I have a history of heart problems in my family too, but not immediate family (not parents or sister). Should I see a doctor about this? It's only been this one time that I've had a reaction this intense and I don't want to bother a doctor if not very serious. But due to my high heart rate should I get it checked out?

Thank you!

Actually, a maximum heart rate of 200, at your age isn't too far off the mark for many of the formulas out there.

I can't comment on the presyncope except I'd look to see if it happens again.
It is possibly you had a momentary dip in blood pressure due to any number of factors.  This has happened to me on a few occasions when I was young and anemic due to a health problem.  If you are not fully hydrated or didn't eat well that morning and having just been sick after a longer break from your regular routine then it could just be your body got overloaded.  I would suggest making sure you drink a lot of water whenever you work out.  Especially have some right before you start to prevent dehydration.  As well if you have stop for a time from exercising then ease into the intense stuff a bit more slowly maybe waiting a few days before going all out.  Either way I agree with Tom and suggest you keep tabs on this and if it persists see a doctor.  A check up wouldn't hurt either but it sounds a lot like a simple dip in blood pressure (some sort of random vasovagal response) and may have been a transient thing that isn't any concern but do keep an eye on things.
It isn't necessarily a high number of beats per minute that causes insufficiency.  If the rhythm is not normal,  the heart may pump less blood for the same number of beats.

Some heart rythms are sensitive to exercise. I know I am sure for a maximum stress test myself.  We know that mine is triggered by exercise,  and are intentionally trying to set it off by doing this.

When I still had long spells of svt, my symptoms matched your description. That too was exercise triggered,  occuring after a layoff at about 10 minutes into a workout.
As far as"pre syncope" goes. My SVT Caused my hearing to dim, and I felt light headed. There are several potential causes of syncope. Normal vasovagal syncope comes on slowly, and a person is usually aware of a problem of some type. SVT comes on suddenly, and leaves suddenly. You are generally not aware of a problem until it happens. You feel lousy suddenly, then better almost instantly, and I could swear I felt the blood filling my brain again once it stopped.
Thanks everyone for your responses they've been really helpful!

I think I'll just monitor it at my next few sessions as you say and if it happens again I'll see a doctor. I was panicked as it seemed so extreme for the type of exercise I was doing and I've felt pretty fit for years now so it came as a shock! It probably was a combination of everything as you say that resulted in low blood pressure. I've also been going through an emotional time lately, so could that have had an impact?

Bromley, that's interesting to hear that you have very similar symptoms. I'll see if it happens again and if it follows the same pattern then maybe that's what it is. So many of my family members have problems with their heart, at least 5 I can think from the top of my head! So I'll keep an eye on it.