Heart Rhythm Community
Prilosec? The culprit?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Prilosec? The culprit?

Well, you guys know that my PVCs are back.  I take fish oil and Cal/Mg. They were gone for so long that it was very nice.....mmmm.  THEN they came back.  Anyway, I noticed that it was about a week after I started taking Prilosec every day.  Then I didn't take it for a day or two and they got a lot better.  I took it again....back.  Stopped...they calmed.  Yesterday I didn't take it and I had a decent day.  I am going to ride this one out.  I have NO idea where there could be a connection, but this is too coincidental for my tastes.  I also remember, in the past, having bad times with PVCs and I might have been on Prilosec, Prevacid or Protonix at the time.  I was on them for a long stretch.  Anyone else?
I was just looking at this forum just to get reassurance. I was just sitting at home and all of a sudden a whole run of PVC's I guess.  Of course I started crying because I think I am going to die.  I have been sick for the past year with what they thought was Epstein Barr that tweaked my thyroid.  Anyway, I am so fatigued constantly, that I am sure that it is my heart and they have totally missed it.  I had an echo, not stress done last year and it was good. I could not do the stress echo because I could barely stand, I also had a holter and this brings me to your question about PPI's.  I was on Protonix and had the same problem. If you read the package insert on all the PPI's they have Cardiac side effects. If you ask your MD they say no way. All I know is you are correct in what you are feeling from the Prevacid, protonix and prilosec.
Sorry for the long answer.  I am just really stressed out.
13 mos ago I started a new medication for GERD. 3weeks later I ended up in the hospital having 35-40,000 PVC's/day(bigeminy, trigeminy and worse) and was scheduled for an ablation. There was a 3 mos. waiting list and I was put on Atenolol. Ended up in Emerg 3 more times thinking I was going to die eventhough all tests(Angiogram, stress, echo etc showed a normal heart). 10 days before my ablation I ran out of  my medication for GERD and just decided to refill the Rx after the ablation. At night I just took a Pepcid chewable instead. Suddenly within 2 days my PVC's just totally disappeared and the ablation was put on indefinite hold. That was a year ago and I have been fine. GUESS WHAT!- the medication I ran out of and stopped was PRILOSEC. I have been wondering ever since about a connection and it's becoming more clear as time goes on. Rocky

I too have suspected that Prilosec has something to do with my PVC's. Of course when you are getting hammered with PVC's, you're likely to suspect anything and everything. When your heart starts acting up, I suppose it's a natural instinct to get off your medicines and supplements. Nevertheless, I have made a pretty strong corelation between Prilosec and increased PVC's. I'm not 100% certain, but not far from it.
My post DISAPPEARED!  Anyway, I really think I am on to something.  Yesterday was my second day without taking Prilosec and my PVCs were gone again.  Last night I had terrible acid, though.  I also can relate to periods of bigeminy where I was on Aciphex or Protonix.  I never made the connection.  The chewables don't work for me.  What do I do?  Choose between pain or PVCs?
Hummmh, Rita I was on Prilosec when the pvcs got real bad and then I had the VT.
You may have stumbled onto something here.  

I have only had a couple PVCs since then and have not taken Prilosec since then.

I know one of the side affects of certain GERD Meds are arrythmias that is why I do not take them since being diagnosed with VT.

I was just thinking the other day that my pvcs always happen when my reflux is bothering me. Wonder what the connection can be???????
This is very interesting.  My doctor recently increased my dosage of Prilosec from 1-20mg tablet per day to 2-20mg tablets.  It was about that time that my PVCs increased significantly.  I am going to reduce my dosage back to 1-20mg tablet to see if there is any impact  I would never have put this together.
I took Prilosec for six months with no changes in my pvc's.  Prilosec didn't work so they switched me to Protonix and I have been taking it since June.  I haven't noticed anything until recently so I'm not sure it is related.  I went 4 months with no problems.  Of course my doctor assured me that Protonix wouldn't bother my heart.  I'm going to try taking it every other day now because the reflux is so much better.  I was at the point where I was short of breath because my vocal chords were swollen.
Frenchie
Over the years, doctors have often told me that certain meds would not produce certain side effects.  I don't know why they say it, but I have found that they are either lying or misled!  I know my body and am no dummy.  I didn't get the PVCs right away with the Prilosec.  It took almost a week.  That is why I don't think I ever made the connection.  I always think that the side effects would start right away.  That is not necessarily true. Well, I am still off and still doing okay.  The acid is back horribly, though.  My sister told me to take a TBS of vinegar. I'll try ANYTHING!
How about trying another antacid?  I take Zantac when I need it.  I'm not sure how bad your acid is.
It's BAAAAAAAD!  VERY BAAAAAAD!  I have some Zantac.  That is usually for after the fact.  I'll try that one again.  Thanks.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  I have had 2 ablations for AVNRT in the last couple of months to no avail.  (I have had 4 in all.)  I've also been taking Protonix since the beginning of the year.  Perhaps that is the culprit?  I keep wondering why my heart is still pounding the next day after I got my ablations done?  I just looked up side effects of Protonix and it can result in Vitamin B-12 defficiency; symptoms of that include fatigue & weakness, pale skin, shortness of breath & fast heart rate.  All of which describe me to a tee (among others).  Is it possible, that, in all of the hundreds of doctor appointments that I've had this year, no one has checked my B-12?  This is definately something worth looking into.  Thanks for your post!  Have a wonderful day!  

PS. You know...there is something wrong with our doctors today when we seem to be spending all of our time on the internet "self-diagnosing".  If I hadn't self-diagnosed my kidney failure at the beginning of the year, I would probably be on the transplant list right now.  Fortunately, they are improving on their own (with a little help from meds, of course).  I'm beginning to lose my trust in them.
I was so glad to find someone else who thinks there may be a link between PPI's (protein pump inhibitors) and heart arrhythmia's.  I had been on Prilosec/omeprazole for over 10 years.  A year ago I started having atrial fibrillation.  My doctor ran all the relevant tests and said my heart was fine and not to worry. At that time I questioned my gastroenterologist about being on Prilosec for such a long time. She assured me that there were no studies that showed any side effects from the long term use of PPI's.  I continued to suspect  Prilosec and attempted to discontinue it.  Unfortunately I did not keep a record of the prilosec intake or my arrhythmia's so I can't directly relate them. I have taken some Prilosec in the last year but not on a consistent basis.   I did have a long period the first part of this year without any arrhythmia's and then they started up again in August.

After a 2 day episode in September I went to the ER where they finally captured the Atrial Fibrillation and diagnosed me with Atrial Fibrillation with Rapid Ventricular Response (my heart rate was often over 170). I was in hospital for 6 days while they ran many tests and did an electro-cardioversion. I am now on medication in attempt to control the A Fib.  I continue to have intermittant episodes  of  A Fib.  I have stopped all PPI's and ATTEMPT to control my GERD with other methods.

I can't help but wonder if the long term intake of Prilosec caused this arrhythmia problem to start.  Then again I also wonder if there is any connection between the long standing problem of GERD and the arrhythmia's.  I am very interested in hearing from others with arrhythmia's who may have GERD and have taken PPI's.

Perhaps as a new member to this community I should be posting somewhere else, but when I saw that others suspect the PPI's I wanted to be involved with this discussion.
I'd like to get off the 20 mg of Nexium I take daily, but don't know how to do it. I recently developed about 8500 PVCs a day. They came out of the blue. I've heard that Zantac, Pepcid, ranitidine (generic Zantac), and other H2 blockers can also cause heart beat irregularities.  

I need advice in tapering off. There's B-12 deficiency in my family and osteoporosis, other reasons to get off PPIs and H2 blockers. But I don't know how to safely taper off the Nexium without risking serious esophagus problems. My doctors are useless. They think I'm making it all up. They should read the side effects of the meds those with reflux are taking!
I too had some serious issues when on Prilosec, nexium ,ect... felt worse on it. And wow, was it hard to get off of it, the rebound reflux was terrible. What helped me was a natural medicine/herb called mastic gum. I used it 2 in am /2 pm and slowly cut my nexium down every day. It took some time , but I did get off of it and now feel much better than when I was on it.
I take the mastic gum off and on for a few weeks if my indigestion symptoms start up again.
Good luck to all, hope this helps.
Mastic gum... Where could I get this?  I'd like to try it. It's nice to know I could use it while still on Nexium. Maybe I could try Nexium every other day and mastic gum on the off days for a few months? Then cut back more on the Nexium if that works?

Not eager to deal with acid rebound, since that really gets my PVCs going. But I really don't think it's good to be on Nexium for many years, with what we are now finding out.  Thanks.

Oh...almost forgot...where do you get your mastic gum? Is it in a tablet or capsule?

Thanks.
wow ive been on prilosce for years now , never really had any problem with it i had really bad pac 3 years ago than nothing but today woke up with them, i take a pill a day for acid cant go with out it. now scared it will cause afib down the line , whats a person to do.
Hey folks, Im pretty sure there is a link between acid blockers like prilosec and pvc's tachycardia, etc. I now use apple cider vinegar 2tbs in a half cup of water couple times a day(one at bedtime) and no heartburn or gerd. I think tums and rolaids indirectly cause them too, by messing up the acid balance in the stomach. Since Ive been off the ppi and the antacids....no pvc's ! hope this is the answer! I remember on a couple of occasions, I had a pvc immediately after  chewing a big calcium carbonate (like tums) tablet.I used to feel like I knew I was going to have one, and now I dont! My heart feels much more relaxed. Of course,I prayed about it too! Hope this helps
DaddyO, I tried the vinegar thing and had the worst heartburn of my life. My doctor asked what I was thinking. He showed me the pics of the acid erosion in my esophagus from the endoscopy, and said "Vinegar is pure acetic acid!"  Anyway, it's not for me. Wish I could just use it. I've read that vinegar works for those who have low acid, and my grandma used it for "stomach problems" years ago when she was in her eighties. So maybe that's it...vinegar works for low-acid, which often has the same symptoms (heartburn) as high acid.

My EP doctor said to be sure I take an antacid that has both calcium and magnesium, because magnesium can help with PVCs. Not eliminate them, but make them less uncomfortable and, for some people, less frequent. I've taken a calcium/magnesium supplement and Mylanta tablets (which has both calcium and magnesium) for a few months, and find I'm feeling the PVCs less. They're not gone, but they're less troublesome most of the time. Hope this helps someone.
I was on Nexium for Gerd but I noticed when I went off of the Beta Blocker my Gerd cleared up.  I still experience occasional Tachycardia.  It seems kind of like a round robin to me.  The treatment for Gerd produces tachy but the treatment for Tachy produces Gerd.  I wonder if there is another underlying problem we all seem to experience.

P.S. The Nexium gave me horrible joint and muscle pain to the point I could hardly roll out of bed.  I was on 80 mg a day but still would not help the Gerd.
PDee, beta blockers are known to make heartburn worse. Since I have GERD, I'm not taking metoprolol (beta blocker) although my doctor said I might want to if my PVCs are too uncomfortable. Reflux is very uncomfortable and I don't want to make mine worse with a beta blocker. So, I'm trying to get along as best I can without one.