Heart Rhythm Community
Proton Pump Inhibitors and PVC/PACs

Join others experiencing Heart Rhythm issues. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

Proton Pump Inhibitors and PVC/PACs

Hi...I just found this site and it's been enormously reassuring. Thank you all for sharing your stories. I have "rare" PVCs and PACs controlled by Toprol XL. Recently my Dr attempted to change my proton pump inhibitor from Prilosec  to Nexium, Protonix and another one I can't recall (brain snap!). They all worked to control the heartburn but in each case my PVC/PACs broke through at night after four days on the Rx.  I went back to the Prilosec and it  too let them break through after four days.  I finally gave up and went back to Maalox!   Anyone else have a similar problem with PPIs or ANY meds? Or is it possible I psyched myself into feeling the little buggers?  I've had them for about five years, and as a said, they're considered "rare" (less than 100 a day.)  Thanks, and again, thank you for this forum!

Unfortunately, we tent to attribute the cause of our PVCs to any change. Indeed, whenever I begin a new medication, it is fairly common for me to experience an increase in PVCs, at least for a few days. I have taken Prilosec, Nexium, and Protonix, and they all have been fairly successful reducing the acid.

If I take a medication and experience an increase in isolated PVCs, I am patient in waiting it out to see if it gets too bad for me to tolerate. If I take a medication and I experience PSVT or couplets, I usually get off the medication fast (Iā€™m talking about Acid Reducing medications and antihistamines and the like, anything more serious I would consult with the Doctor before discontinuing, even if I need to phone the office at odd hours).

If you had 100 per day without the medication, and 200 per day with, this is still likely of little concern. Be careful with runs of PVCs, such as PSVT and Couplets. If you had anything unusual, you could consult with your Doctor.

I use the PPIs for several days, then off for several days. I have been taking one form or another for years. Originally, it was considered a risk to take them too long, tumor growth in rats or mice or some such thing, but it does not appear to have been significant cause of stomach tumors in humans, and Doctors are more liberal in prescribing them.

Best of health.