Pulmonary Vein Ablation Complications
i am a 35 year old male who was on the VERY active side 6 months ago.  I had an episode of A-Fib while playing basketball and in the ambulance my pulse was irregular and at 300.  It was diagnosed as atrial fib with a high ventricular response.  My cardiologist recommended ablation.

I had my ablation on June 21st.  Since then, I have never really felt "good".  Over the past 4 months, I was noticeably getting more fatigued and short of breath.  A month ago, I was diagnosed with double pneumonia and was given Levaquin, 2 Z-Packs, and 3 shots of Rocephen.  Nothing changed.

As a result of a right heart cath. study, and later a Pulmonary CT, I have now been diagnosed as having 2 pulmonary veins with severe stenosis and one with mild to moderate stenosis.  I also have a bit of fluid in my lungs.

I am currently waiting to hear from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN so they can do a pulmonary vein angio/stent procedure.  

Have any of you heard of this complication?  I have not really heard anything regarding my future prognosis yet...any clues?  Needless to say, I have never been more physically and mentally down in my life!

Thanks for any help you can give me!!!

J
Hey there, I have no advice to give but wanted to offer my sympathy. Sounds like you have been through a lot! I was recently diagnosed with a heart condition and prior to that was extremely healthy and active, so I can associate with how life altering it can be. I'm so sorry that you are feeling down. I wish you the best of luck and keep us posted on your progress!
PV stenosis is a possible complication of pulmonary vein isolation ablations and one that is routinely watched for but thankfully rarely shows up for most of us. After my first ablation, I had to have a CT to rule out stenosis before proceeding to my second ablation. I was fortunate to not have that complication.

I am sorry to hear that you have experienced this and wish you the best of fortune in finding a return to your previous level of health.
I had PVI ablation at Mayo 4 years ago.  There are two types of PVI ablations.  One is more susceptible to have a complication that you have.  Mayo is very good.  They are very thorough and you will be in the best of hands.
I am home now.  Feeling better.  I actually had severe stenosis in 3 of my pulmonary veins and very mild stenosis in the 4th.  When the docs at Mayo first told me how constricted my 3 veins were, they said they were not sure if they were going to be able to get the wire through the 3 veins.  

Ultimately, the procedure went well.  They said the severity of my situation is something that is incredibly uncommon (in 3 + veins).  I have a follow up in 6 weeks to see how the veins are doing at that point and may have to have another dilation done.

dquenzer...how many dilations did you go through up to this point?  How many veins did you have "fixed"?  Did they use stents at all?  Thank you!

The MAYO Clinic, all staff members, and its hospitals are amazing!
Needless to say, I am not very happy with the procedure used at the other facility that got me to this point!