Heart Rhythm Community
Question about chest flutter?

A community of people experiencing Heart Rhythm concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

Question about chest flutter?

I have this weird flutter in my chest that seems to happen when I work out, take hot shower, or even lay down. I have been to hospital got EKG, and chest X-ray and it shows nothing. It makes me want to cough too. When I check my pulse it doesn't seem to skip beats or beat an extra beat because I as well as my fiance have listened and checked my pulse and it doesn't sound different. What could this be? Could it be an Aneurysm? Should I be worried if the hospital's ER room couldn't find anything?
Tags: Heart, aneurysm, flutter, cough, help, Chest
Also it is right under the center of my sternum about 2 inches below the bottom of my Adam's Apple.
When I was 21 and was pregnant, I started having that feeling.  The first time I ever remember feeling my heart beating out of my chest though was when I was about 10.  I could be pressing up against a door to open it sometimes and feel my heart making my body move with the beat.  It could be seen by someone just watching my chest when I had an "attack".  I never told my parents though.  I didn't want to worry them.  But back to when I was 21.  (When you are pregnant {Not you! LOL} your heart has a lot more pumping to do since your blood volume goes up).  I started feeling this fluttering, like a butterfly was in my chest.  It would come on almost anytime, and I would lay flat on my back or cough and it would go away pretty quick.  I found out I have Mitral Valve Prolapse.  It sounds real bad, but it really isn't that serious.  It can be if you get a certain infection and you need to know so you can warn Dentists and any Drs. before you have any procedures that might let a bacteria into your bloodstream.  You can read more about it by Googling it.  See a Cardialogist and try not to worry too much.  They will probably have you wear a monitor and then do an echocardiagram (heart ultrasound).  Keep us posted!
Cindy
I had those flutters in my chest, too, and it took me a long time to figure out what is was after EKG, seeing Doc etc. and finding nothing wrong.

It ended up being acid reflux--heartburn-believe it or not--and taking a Zantec75 relieved the fluttering sensation. Changing the position I'm in and coughing relieves the fluttering initially before taking antacid.

I still get anxious when the flutters come back, thinking it's a heart problem but I stop to ask myself what have I eaten or drank today and how is my stomach feeling.  If I push lightly on lower left of rib cage I feel my stomach gurgle and feel reassured the flutters are from that and not in my heart.

Hope this helps....