Heart Rhythm Community
Rapid HR after eating

Join others experiencing Heart Rhythm issues. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

Rapid HR after eating

I am 49 and just diagnosed with Celiac disease so now I am on a strict gluten free dies.  I have also had gastric bypass so I don't eat much.  I do not take BP medicine except for Lisinopril.  I am also diabetic (type 1) and in 3rd stage renal failure (stable).  Now, I have noticed that after I eat my HR drastically increases and I feel like blood is rushing into my head and I have to lay down.  Sometimes it feels like I just ran and I have to take in deep breaths.  I have checked by BP during these episodes and it is normal (106/65).  I'm at my wits end!  Any suggestions on what is going on?
It is likely your vagus nerve is being over stimulated when you eat.  I get short of breath myself after I eat but not as severe as you.  I don't have to lay down but I do breath heavy.  I would say after consulting with your doctors to make sure you are healthy enough to take medicine I might try some antacids to see if it can take some of the pressure off your stomach and vagus nerve.  Beyond that I would consult with your doctor and/or a cardiologist to see what else you may be able to do to help the situation.  I hope you feel better soon.  Keep us posted on how you are doing.
Do you know if certain foods are responsible for the over stimulation?  For instance, I have had 2 salads today with no problem but last night after eating gluten free lasagna I was miserable.  Thank you for your advice.
For me it seems like hard foods if that makes sense.  Nuts of any kind get mine going.  And anything that produces gas is a trigger as well.  I wonder if your gluten free pasta has a lot of fiber in it which can be a big gas producer.  For most of us it is trial an error to find what bothers us and what doesn't.