Heart Rhythm Community
Rapid Heart Rate & Low Blood Pressure?

Join others experiencing Heart Rhythm issues. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

Rapid Heart Rate & Low Blood Pressure?

I have been having problems for awhile now where I feel like my heart is beating fast.  Interestingly enough, this seems to happen the most when I am supposed to be relaxed...as in waking up in the morning or when I am just sitting on the couch watching TV.  I have had some tests done this year and was told that everything looked fine...just my heart beats a little fast (normal resting rate is about 75-80, but can rise quickly, and is much higher when I wake in the morning, after eating, etc).  Anyway, my fast hear rate has been chalked up to anxiety by the docs. Well, every time I go to the Dr my blood pressure is way up, and even though I know it is because of nerves, they still have made me concerned about it enough to start checking it at home.  I bought a BP monitor...a very reliable one (as told to me by the pharmacist and Consumer Reports)..and low and behold...when I am at home, my blood pressure is actually very low.  I mean like 90/50 low!  For instance, last night I was feeling a little jittery when i was watching TV on the couch, so I checked the BP and it was like 99/49!  HR was about 78-85.  Yes--I know that's not tachycardia yet, but still feels noticabley faster.  

So...is it possible that my lower blood pressure could be causing my faster HR?  I mean, bc it feels faster when I am relaxing, which is when the blood pressure is lower...hmmm...just a thought!
Avatar n tn
My problem is very similar to yours.  I just spent the night in the hospital, being monitored.  I have a lot of extra beats and like you, my bp is quite low.  when i was on the treadmill, my heart rate was normal, but when I stopped the rapid beats started back up.  Also, my heart revs up when relaxing.  The doctor prescribed Verapamil SA 120 mgs, but since it lowers your bp and mine is already quite low I am afraid to take it.  I am desperately seeking answers on this.
Thanks for your response.

Can I ask, what kind of medication is Verapamil?