Heart Rhythm Community
Rapid Heartrate and POTS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Rapid Heartrate and POTS

Im 19 yrs old and i have been diagnosed with POTS and Sinus Tachycardia about 9 months ago. This all started after i miscarried, ever since then i have not felt the same. I feel tired and weak all day, i cant exercise or lead an active day, all i want to do is sleep. In the morning my HR races soo fast also same when im going to bed. I feel confused all day and very weak. Is there any other meds or is there another disease i might have? I am currently taking atenenol which helps slow the HR little bit but nothing restores my energy. Desperately seeking information. Please help, thanks.
A Beta Blocker medication, such as Atenenol, can contribute to the feeling tired and even dizzy, especially if your blood pressure is lowered too much.  Check you blood pressure, and if it is very low (something like 90/60) talk to your doctor about that as it relates to your medication.  

What is your resting heart rate?  If over 100 I think you need more treatment of the tachycardia.  

Sorry to read you are having this trouble at such a young age. Has there been any discussion of doing an ablation procedure?
I hope someone has told you what I found looking into the subject of POTS:

My reference says most young POTS patients will see improvement over time/years.
Young people in their early to mid teens will most likely see complete symptom resolution by their mid twenties.  

I understand you are 19, but the above may apply anyway.  Has you doctor offered any optimistic view of your condition improving over time?  It is hard to think about feeling the way you do for a long period of time/years, but is nice to have hope of improvement.

Good luck and try to find a medication that works best for you.

I just wanted to let you know that MedHelp has a community specifically for POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome), and other forms of Dysautonomia and Autonomic Dysfunction.  Here is a link to our health pages if you need more information including other treatment options:

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Neurological-Disorders/Autonomic-Dysfunction--Dysautonomia-Index-Page/show/857?cid=196