Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
Repolarization Abnormality?

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Repolarization Abnormality?
28 year old male..Yesterday i had a tachy episode and ended up in the emergency room with chest pain, and some shortness of breath.. My EKGS have always seemed fairly typical but this last one, while in tachy episode showed "borderline repolarization abnormality....... ST dep & Abnormal T"
Rate :137
PR 97
QRSD 90
QT 276
QTc 417

AXIS
P 79
QRS 70
T  -20

What is the significance of this? is there any significance? I also had a low-ish potassium level (3.3) and was positive for blood clot test. I was given a potassium supplement, some baby asprin, EKG was repeated and it was normal..

Thank you for your time and Happy Holidays
Buddy,

Many people have repolarization abnormalities at heart rates like that.  It was not due to the low potassium.  A positive blood clot test (D-Dimer if that is what it was) does not mean much.  A negative test rules out it out, I  positive test does not help the diagnosis at all.

If I saw you in clinic, I would probably order an echo and stress test.  If you have no other cardiac symptoms I would tell you from the start that these tests are low yield and that you are likely to be normal.  I would order the tests to make sure.  It might be worth seeing a cardiologist for your own reassurance and because if there is nothing wrong, you probably do not need to take the aspirin at your age.

Thanks for posting.
A related discussion, Ventricular Premature Complex was started.
A related discussion, Abnormal EKG was started.
A related discussion, LVH WITH SECONDARY REPOLARIZATION ABN was started.
A related discussion, Catheter Ablation Procedure was started.