Rythmol Useage
Have had 6 episodes of AF over past 2 years, each successfully converted chemically back to NSR while in the ER. Effectiveness of daily doasge of 25-50mg of Atenolol seems to be wearing off since Rx'd after 1st occurence. Now Rx'd Rythmol as well at 150mg BID. How effective is this medication in general?  How long has it been in use? What are the typical long-term side-effects to date?
I have used Propafenone (generic Rythmol) and Rythmol SR in high dosage for a number of years.  I am no longer on them as while the Propafenone seems to have helped me stay in NSR, it was not able to convert me... same for Rythmol.  

However, some people do convert on either of these forms, Rythmol may work for you and it is available in the more convenient Slow Release (SR) form.  As I recall, it is rather expensive, hope you have some insurance help.  I have never heard or read about any problem side effects, however, Rythmol may require a careful implementation, i.e., be on a monitor for the first week, or start the med in the hospital.  I did it using a personal monitor.  
I have only used Propafenone (generic Rythmol) when I got out of rhythm and it converts me back into rhythm at higher dosages...300 mg, every 8 hours. So it is pill in the pocket for me.
I have had af for years have been on several meds that quit working I have a pacemaker for sick sinus sydrone.my af got to 65% so dr. took me off multaq put me on propafonone 300mg twice a day would not work now on max dose 900mg  aday.is anyone else on that dose are ther any side effects to that much aday.
I have taken 225 mg of Propafenone three times a day (every 8 hours, approximately) to hold me in normal sinus rhythm following electrocardioversions.  I never noticed any sided effects from Propafenone.  I ran for exercise during that time.

However, simple beta blocker medications give me some problems, mostly fatigue which may be due to my ever advancing age more than the medication itself.