SVT & Hashimoto Disease
I was diagnosed with SVT in 2003.  While wearing a halter monitor, my heart rate went up to 267. The cardioligist suggested that I take Diltiazem, rather than have an ablation.  And it has been working fairly well so far.  However, I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto disease.  But now this doctor says that I need to have the ablation, in order for him to prescribe the medication needed to treat the Hashimoto disease. I eat very healthy & exercise almost every day. However, the Hashimoto disease  has caused me to to limit my food intake tremendously.  I do not seem to be able to digest anything.  I would say that I am comsuming approximately 1000 (healthy) calories a day.  Yet I always feel full & have gained 3 pounds. Could this really be caused by the Hashimoto disease?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
underactive thyroid needs to be medicated but with your svt im guessing the thyroxine would irritate your svt?i dont think it makes any difference how healthy a lifestyle you lead,you will still need treatment for it hun.
if your thyroid levels are low they will need to be treated as the thyroid has many functions i have anti bodies to the thyroid and was on thyroxine and had to come of it as it made my svt go crazy at least your docs are aware of the situition and can follow the best line of treatment for u .once u are on the med your metabolism should return to a normal level again and u will probably find your energy levels will pick up again
there is also a great thyroid forum in here with plenty of people with hashimotos if this is all new to u
best of luck to u
I had Hasmimotos disease but I had my throid taken out due to a nodule and all my thyroid antibodies are gone. I also have SVT and had an ablation yesterday and went great, it ws a piece of cake, I would do it again in a minute.
I never took anything besides Synthroid while I had Hasimotos I am confused why your doc would not prescribe meds. Having too low of a TSH can triggers SVT's but that is theonly connection that I can make
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my concerns.
Thanks for the details & for advising me about the thyroid forum.
Wow, finally someone who has delt with both of these issues!  I am thrilled to hear that the ablation went well & was an easy process. I am now in the process of dealing with setting up the ablation. FYI, I was just advised to stop eating all soy products, as they have a negative impact on thyroid function.  And I used to eat quite a bit of soy. Thank you so very much & I wish you well.