SVT & sports
My 16 yr old daughter has SVT, but she is also very active in sports.  She was diaganosed in July of 06, and since then she has under gone 2 ablations to correct her problem without success.  After the 2nd ablation, we decided to have her take 50mg of atenolol rather then put her through it again.  She had been doing well with the medication, but recently she had another episode.  Her doctor did not put her on any restrictions & she continues to participate in school sports.  But 80% of her episodes have happened during or right after exercise.  Does anyone else out there with SVT participate in athletics & what have you been told regarding restrictions?  The mother in me wants her stop working out & stressing her heart, but she loves participating & gets very upset about the thought of having to quit. Any advice???
Youth is such a great thing.  Evidently she is coping with the episodes pretty well if she is still pushing to compete.  I am 45 but have always been very active, tennis, basketball (including coaching my daughters), outdoors.  10 years ago I started the svt stuff.  I have had four ablations with no help other than now the episodes break with toprol 50 mg in 1-2 hours vs going to ER.  It was more persistent when I was younger.  Now as I am older I can not do the sports stuff.  The exertion always triggers my svt. I think if she handles it well there is no additional danger.  You should note her heart rate though.  I might be concerned if she svt's at 250 vs 150 BPM (obviously).  Does she episode every time she plays?  MY rythym is normal but locks at 150-160 when it happens, the docs tell me not to worry about it (which as I get older is harder to do).  At episode I usually keep doing what I'm doing for 5-10 minutes because movement actually relieves the fast rate feeling and then I pop my toprol and lay down until it stops. Just make sure and talk to a good EP specialist even then you may not be real convinced but I would do that vs a family doc or cardio who does not specialize.
She doesn't have episodes every time she plays.  She went 11 months without anything and just recently it has acted up again.  Last time the SVT episode started & then quit on its own within a couple minutes, so I'm not sure of her BPM.  We do see a pediatric EP specialist & he is the one that said she has no restriction.  You mentioned you have had 4 ablations, is it because you have a lot of pathways?  Her specialist has tried 2 times & said he knows the spot but can't get a good contact because of the location to burn the pathway closed.  
Im 24 now and Have had palpitaions since I was 16. I just know have been getting checked out it it turns out I have SVT, I was very active when I was younger, played all kinds of sports including track. I rarely have them while active,, but I did get them afterwards also. I never restricted myself. If she is handling it well I would let her keep doing it. I really really think you stopping her is overreacting and she is going to get punished for it. I know your worried and just looking out for best interest, but SVT is NOT life threatening, my doctor said the worst that can happen is passing out, I ve had then very strongly, got dizzy and dingley, I have never passed out.
I ment tingley lol