Heart Rhythm Community
SVT- what is an EP?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

SVT- what is an EP?

I have been diagnosed with SVT. I landed in the emergency room after an episode, that usually only lasts for a few seconds, would NOT STOP. I felt dizzy, weak, almost passed out, and after A LOT of intravenous drugs and several hours my heart rate went back to normal.

I was sent home and placed on oral diltiazem 120 mgs 2 tabs 2x daily. After about a week I could barely lift one foot in front of the other. So he dropped it to 1 tab 2x daily. I was already on atenolol for several years due to the occasional short svt's.  I still am having episodes. I have had a few where I could not function. I had to go lie down and after a few hours they go away on their own and I just feel physically drained. I also have what I call milder ones where I can stay up, I just feel the rapid heart beat and slightly light headed and dizzy. Regardless, I can't live this way. I have a follow up appt in January and am going to discuss ablation with my doc. My question is: What kind of doc performs this? A cardiologist or an EP? What exactly is an EP? I want someone who does this all day every day. Not just occasionally.

I have also tried vagal maneuvers and they do not work for me. I just got insurance so I hope to have this taken care of in January. Any stories, advise, suggestions are all welcome.

Thank you,
CC
An EP is an electrophysiologist. They do specialize in the electrical workings of the heart. I had a cardiologist to begin with but he referred me to an EP at the local hospital university. There I had my ablations done.

I am also on Diltiazem but mine is 120 mg ER (extended release) so I only take it once a day. It has helped with my tachy times and chest pain and Raynauds. I'm sorry the vagal maneuvers don't help. For decades I used the valsalva to break my tachy times. Now I rarely need it since my PSVT lasts but a minute. Quite an improvement over what I had before.
I had an ablation 3 years ago and it was the best thing i ever did for myself.  After it was over i was like.why was i so scared it was so easy!!!  Sounds to me like when you went to the E,R. and they gave you lots of drugs l.V. that they probably chemically re-converted your heart which i have also had done and it took a couple of hours to happen too.  Being slightly light headed and dizzy is normal when your heart tachs out because the blood flow is not moving as it should because your heart quivers, beats too fast, etc. and the blood flow sort of gets a little backed up or re directs itself.....also all normal w. the episode.  just make sure when it happens that you put your head down between your knees for a couple of min. and the dizziness will pass.  I live in the wine country in callifornia and chose a cardiologist that was also an ep and cardiac surgeon.  I did my homework and kept going until i felt i had the best and in the end i did.  The ablation is so easy and alot of times they release you a couple of hours after the surgery and you go home and the only limitations you'll probably have it not lifting anything over 10 plus pounds for a couple of days and your groin area on both sides may feel a little sore for a couple of days but i went back to work 3 days after the ablation and back to the gym a week after that....was i still scared?  Yep until i figured out that there was nothing to be afraid of.  If they do the ablation your life is about to change alot and you'll feel like dancing' when nobodys watchin' trust me......look up cardiac surgeons in your area that specialize in the procedure and "interview" a couple until you feel a connection and then ask them for a couple of references as well as do your homework on line in regards to the docs schooling, etc.  Don't forget to ask them how many they've done and how many people they've lost......my guy did over 1500 and had no losses.....i signed up!!!!!!
SO very sorry to hear you have SVT. I was diagnosed with PSVT , dr did EP study, found no area to ablate. Mine is I believe is due to hormones ( perimenopausal) and thyroid issues.
If I could have an ablation and it worked I would do it tomorrow. As post above said, DO your homework, pick a good electrophysicist cardiologist and you will do great!
Also calcium channel blockers( diltiazem) did not work for me, beta blocker- atenolol does).
Good luck!
THANK YOU FOR THE COMMENTS. IT HELPS TO KNOW PEOPLE CARE AND I AM NOT CRAZY.

CC
Hi,  I had an ablation for SVT back in Aug. 2008 and it was the best thing I could have done.  I suffered with SVT for almost 32 years until I just couldn't deal with it anymore. My procedure lasted about 2 hours and I went home the same day. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have. I was so scared before the ablation and after it was over, I couldn't believe how much I worried for nothing. I would do it all again in a heartbeat ( excuse the pun) if I had to. Hope this helps.